Q&A with 2016-2017 ASB President Talia Goodman

This past week, the upper school gathered to vote on next school year’s ASB Executive Board and President. Out of three incoming senior candidates, Talia Goodman ’17 received the most votes and was named 2016-2017 ASB President. Alongside Goodman, Alex Sherman ’17, April Tate ’17 and Maya Winkler ’18 will serve on the ASB Executive Board next school year.

The Oracle sat down with Goodman to learn more about her work with Archer’s student council and her intentions for the coming year.

What does it mean to you to be president of the student body?

TG: It means a lot. It’s something that I’ve wanted for so long, and I feel that the people who are president can really embody what an Archer girl is, and that’s something that I’m so happy that people saw in me. I think that the people who are president really want to work hard and make sure that Archer is running smoothly and that the student body is happy. Student council, I feel, is an important part of the student body and planning events. There’s so much that student council does with the class reps, meetings, relaying information — just making a positive environment for Archer girls. I think that being president is such an honor for me because student council means so much to me, and I see its impact on Archer so much. Being able to have an impact and fostering that is something that I’m really proud to be a part of.

How did you feel when you found out you would be president?

TG: I was so happy. I was crying. I still cry, like in class the other day, I was crying because I thought, “Everyone is so nice.” People have been so supportive about it. I’m so happy, I’m still in the state of shock. I can’t believe it. Because I mean, I can’t believe we’re [almost] seniors, and the seniors now are leaving too. Ali [Kiley ’16] was such an amazing president, and I look up to her. I seriously can’t believe she’s leaving, and I’m going to be in her place. It’s a little nerve-wracking.

Talia Goodman '17 poses with her campaign posters for the spring 2016 campaign season. Photo courtesy of Talia Goodman '17.
Talia Goodman ’17 poses with her campaign posters for the spring 2016 campaign season. Photo courtesy of Talia Goodman ’17.

What do you have planned for next year? What do you hope to accomplish as president?

TG: Well, I think that this year for student council was really successful, and so many things happened that have never happened before. There’s so much growth, and I want to continue that growth. I want to continue growing school spirit and this inclusive environment that Archer stands for and takes pride in. That’s something I want to focus on.

Can you explain some of the changes that student council underwent this year?

TG: We added a lot of new events like Color Wars, Archella, we [brought back] town hall meetings, Teacher Appreciation Week that’s going on right now, just all of these events. You know, what I like about what we’ve added is that they’re all so different and all so diverse. They can all speak to many different types of students like for the town hall meetings allow girls to speak their opinions but Color Wars is for the people who really like to show spirit for their grade. There’s just such a wide range of audiences that student council has to play to and include so, I think that this year really fostered that. I think that within student council there was a lot more accountability. This year, there were a lot of people who knew who the members of student council were and people were proud of that. I feel like in previous years people’s sense of responsibility wasn’t as strong, and Ms. Shirk really worked to make that known. We got sweatshirts, and we have a board of everyone on student council.

What have your roles on student council been up until now, and how have they shaped you?

TG: In tenth grade I was a class rep, and that was really fun because I got to feel what student council was about and worked with the grade along with other reps to plan fun things for my grade. This past year I was on exec[utive] board and that was a different experience because I felt that I had so much more responsibility.

The events, the scale was so much bigger, and that was really exciting and a really great opportunity for me. I feel that I learned so much this year. I feel like I couldn’t have gone from rep to president because that would have been such a big transition, so I think this year really taught me the deeper ways in which student council runs. When you’re a rep, you’re observing and feeling things out and focused on doing things with your grade. Then on the executive board, it is about connecting all of that. It taught me about how student council works.

Why is spirit important to you and why should Archer girls have spirit?

TG: Spirit is important to me because I think it’s such a big part of the Archer community and my experience at Archer. When you come onto Archer’s campus, when you meet the girls and the faculty, you really get the sense that people are proud to be a part of this community, to be a part of Archer. I think spirit is just at the basis of that. That is why spirit is so important to me because I think that it has really shaped the Archer community and how everyone is so supportive and connected to each other.

If you could tell yourself anything when you entered Archer knowing what you do now, what would it be and why?

TG: Don’t be afraid to try new things. When I was in ninth grade, I was very shy. I wasn’t really outgoing —well, I was outgoing, but if I was in a situation with people I didn’t know, I wouldn’t be able to talk, and I was shyer. Being on student council, playing volleyball, being an ambassador and trying all of these new things really helped me to open up and be in different situations and new situations. I think that’s what I’d tell myself as a freshman. Just try the things that seem interesting to you, the things that seem cool because I think that in terms of student council I thought, “I can never do that because I’m so shy.” But then when I tried it and put myself out there, it was really successful. Now, it’s such a big part of my Archer experience.