Marley Chaney shares passion for photography, how it allows her to ‘creatively express herself’

Chaney+takes+a+photo+of+herself+in+a+mirror+with+her+camera.+She+takes+all+of+her+images+with+the+Canon+Rebel+T3i.+She+has+always+held+a+strong+passion+for+photography.+Image+courtesy+of+Chaney.++
Chaney takes a photo of herself in a mirror with her camera. She takes all of her images with the Canon Rebel T3i. She has always held a strong passion for photography. Image courtesy of Chaney.

Click! For rising photographer, Marley Chaney ’19 this sound is music to her ears.

Ever since Chaney was a young child, the arts have heavily influenced her. Chaney grew up watching her mother, a photographer, take photos of people and places and became fascinated by cameras and the field of photography itself.

Her passion truly blossomed around the age of 13. She began to research tutorials on how to use cameras and eventually collected enough money to purchase her own, a Canon Rebel T3I, which she still uses today. Chaney felt excited and accomplished after saving up for something that was so important to her.

“I had all of my money in a jar that I took to the store,” she said.

After purchasing her camera, Chaney quickly began to take photographs of her family and friends. She then created an Instagram account to showcase her pictures.

“Instagram is an easy way for people to see your work. It’s universal,” Chaney said.

A picture of a flower taken and edited by Marley Chaney. Chaney used her new lens to capture this photo. “I use LightRoom and VSCO Cam to edit my photos,” Chaney said.

Through Instagram, both individuals and brands have reached out to her, asking to collaborate on various projects. Some of her past clients include dancer Maxine Hupy and alternative rock band, Jane’s Addiction.

She has also photographed a campaign for fashion designer Karen Keith. By working with people who are influencers in their respective fields, Chaney has begun to expand her portfolio.

Chaney found it particularly fascinating to work with artists in different professions, and Keith emphasized Chaney’s natural talent in a phone interview.

“She has an excellent eye for angles and composition,” Keith said.

Whether it is a photo posted on Instagram or one saved in her portfolio, Chaney’s peers consider her work to go far beyond the surface level.

“Marley’s work has a personal depth that no other artist’s has,” Roxy Strouk ‘19 said.

Chaney’s friends are also inspired by her enthusiasm, work ethic and the sophistication of her work.

“[Her photography] is very professional for a girl her age. A lot of care goes into it,” sophomore Ana Berman said.

Photography teacher, Marya Alford, who taught Chaney for one year, views her work as very natural, yet dramatic.

“[She creates] these really well composed and visually striking images,” Alford said.

In the future, Chaney hopes to pursue a career in photography and wants to take a gap year after graduating from high school to participate in a photography program.

Although she has worked with many different types of art in the past, including drawing, painting and sculpture, photography is her true passion.

To learn more about Chaney’s love for photography and how the arts have shaped her, listen to the audio clip below.

Because she has experimented with various types of art, the skills she has picked up from each venture has strengthened and improved her photography.

“All of the different types of art have really broaden[ed] my learning and helped me incorporate new forms into my artwork,” Chaney said.

“You can transform an image into anything you want can send so many different messages with one picture.”

Photo by Marley Chaney

A photo of a Parisian neighborhood. Chaney conveys the overall beauty of this Parisian neighborhood. "I happened upon this neighborhood while exploring and I immediately knew I had to capture its beauty and elegance," Chaney said.

5 Comments

5 Responses to “Marley Chaney shares passion for photography, how it allows her to ‘creatively express herself’”

1. Alexandra Chang on April 27th, 2017 9:39 am

Great profile, Liz!

[Reply]

2. Yassi Soufer on April 27th, 2017 10:24 am

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing Liz!!!

[Reply]

3. Esther Dafoe on May 2nd, 2017 3:46 pm

I love the photos! So pretty 🙂

[Reply]

4. Señor Forte on May 2nd, 2017 4:04 pm

Well done, Liz!

[Reply]

5. Cheryl Saban on May 3rd, 2017 10:04 pm

Wonderful article – thanks for sharing this!

[Reply]

• Marley Chaney shares passion for photography, how it allows her to ‘creatively express herself’

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Middle school performs ‘The Wizard of Oz,’ ‘appeals to all ages,’ director says

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Meghan Marshall captures ‘Goddesses of 2017’ for senior photography exhibit

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Kristen Mundy, Elizabeth Zinman display senior art showcases

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Seniors display photography, paintings, pottery

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Archer holds annual Spring Concert, each performance ‘new adventure,’ Smith says

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Despite challenges, Children’s Book World, independent bookstores thrive

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Madison Turner and Claire Sulzer showcase senior art shows

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

The force is female at Archer’s annual film festival

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Archer theater is ‘special’ to the seniors

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Gallery Update: Briana Johnson, Leyla Namazie display senior exhibits