Student musicians perform at annual Winter Concert

Photo credit: Madina Mohammed

The Orchestra stands up to take a bow after there performance. The Winter Concert was held on Jan. 19 and 20.

Melodious voices and instrumentals filled the air when Archer choir and orchestra students took the stage for the annual Winter Concert. The event took place on Jan. 19 and 20, and middle and upper schoolers came together to perform for the event.

Both nights included performances from the middle school orchestra and choir, upper school orchestra and choir and both a cappella groups, Something Major and the Unaccompanied Minors.

At the end of the night, all groups sang Tim Minchin’s “When I Grow Up” together and were arranged by Orchestra Director Susan Smith and Choir Director Kate Burns. The program also consisted of cello solos from freshman Hannah Kim and senior Carly Feldman.

Due to the schedule this year, the concert was held in January, which was a change from its usual date before winter break.

“When the concert was in December, we would do some holiday music, and it seemed strange to me to do holiday music in the middle of January, so it changed our repertoire a little bit,” Burns said.

“It also changed the pacing of rehearsals because we had a little extra time but also winter break for two weeks.”

Adler echoed Burns comments about having extra time for rehearsal, explaining the benefits.

“I think that both the orchestra and choir played better than ever. I know that at least for the orchestra, having the extra time to continue working on our pieces meant our work was better and I think we played the best we’ve ever played,” Adler said.

Senior Audrey Koh and sophomore Sammy Raucher performed in a violin duet.

“I was especially impressed by Audrey and Sammy who both did a fantastic job, and I really enjoyed listening to them play,” Adler said.

The next major performance is the Spring Concert, which will be held on Wednesday, April 19 and Thursday, April 20 at 6:30 p.m. in the Dining Hall.