Second annual Color Wars illuminates community spirit

From left to right, seniors Mari Goldberg, Anabelle Robertson, Rachel Erickson and Billie Wakeham cheer for their team. The seniors slogan was What team? 17.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang

From left to right, seniors Mari Goldberg, Anabelle Robertson, Rachel Erickson and Billie Wakeham cheer for their team. The seniors’ slogan was “What team? 17.”

After a storm comes a rainbow. For Archer that rainbow came in the form of Color Wars, which painted the campus red, purple and every shade in between.

On Monday, Feb. 13, students gathered to celebrate the second annual Color Wars. Color Wars is an event organized by Student Council as a school-wide activity between Winter Break in January and Spirit Week in March.

“The purpose of Color Wars is to unite each grade and to demonstrate school spirit,” junior Maya Winkler, a student council Executive Board member, said. “It’s a really great way to connect with people in your grade in a friendly competitive manner. I think that at Archer, we don’t have many opportunities for competition, so it’s important that we have this outlet for friendly competition.”

Each grade was assigned a different color, which they dressed in and decorated based on. Some grades kept the same color as the 2016 event, while other grades selected new colors.

“I was so happy to find out we were blue because I like the idea of tradition, and continuing the tradition from last year.” Halle Jacobs ’17 said. “I love the color blue too, so that’s a plus.”

The festivities were initially planned to be held on Friday, Feb. 10, but were moved to Monday due to the rain. However, the wet weather did not dampen student spirit.

“They rain was kind of a blessing,” Lucia Barker ’18, a class representative said. “I came up with the idea to incorporate the rain into our grade’s slogan.”

The juniors put their slogan to good use in the first competition: door decorating.

“We’re ‘The Queens of 2018’ and love using RE18N as one of our slogans,” Barker said. “We made our door theme “100% Chance of Re18n” because we’re going to reign the school next year.”

The junior class won first place with their design. Seniors placed second, and sophomores were third respectively.

Photo by Cybele Zhang
Eighth-grade students paint their mural. They earned third place in that event.

“Decorating our door was really exciting,” Sidney Velasquez ’19 said. “I enjoyed bonding with my grade while listening to throwback music and making posters.”

Next, each grade and a teacher team competed in a relay race. Challenges in the race included a balloon toss and oreo eating challenge.

“It was really nice to hear everyone cheering and screaming for us,” Langdon Janos ’22, who participated in the relay race said. “We’re a pretty close grade, but it helped us get even closer.”

Eleventh grade won first, and tenth grade came in second.

Each team then competed in a bracket-style tug-of-war contest.

“It was hard to compete against the older grades, but we tried our best — which is what counts,” Nina Salomon ’22, a member of the seventh-grade tug-of-war team, said.

Faculty came in first, and ninth grade with a close second.

“I feel proud of my 2020 peers because we really put on a good fight and put all of our might into [tug-of-war],” Chloe Eshel ’20 said. “We’ll be ready to get first next year.”

Throughout the lunchtime event was a mural competition.

“Student Council got inspiration from the art gallery and we wanted to provide an opportunity for an artistic element,” Meg Shirk, Student Council Faculty Adviser, said.

Juniors won the mural competition with their design saying, “Make it Re18n.”

“This year our grade had a very impressive Color Wars,” Barker said. “We came together in ways I couldn’t even imagine. There was so much collaboration on the door and the mural it was exciting to see. I think Color Wars bonded out grade and just made us more excited for Spirit Week and Moving Up Day.”

Click the gallery below to see highlights from the day.

• Gracie Abrams ’18 and Dana Duwaji ’18, from left to right, embrace after Color Wars. The junior class won the event, earning the most spirit points of the day.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Isabelle Wilson ’17 shows off her cookies. The cookies celebrated the Class of 2017.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Briana Gonzelez ’22 looks on as a fellow seventh grader writes on their doorway decorations. The seventh grade decor featured the names of every student in their grade.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Juniors distribute boom sticks in the Courtyard at lunch. The grade use them to cheer on their peers during the activities.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Nelson watches as each grade and teacher team competes in the relay race. The juniors won the event.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Eighth grade students make finishing touches on their door for the firs contest. The grade earned 5th place in the event.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • From left to right, Sarah Traenkle, Ruby Ehrlich, Ruby Colby and Bea Freeman, all ’19, prepare for the lunchtime events. The sophomores tied for second is overall spirit points.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Senior decorations on the Courtyard’s bell. The bell was used during the final leg of the relay race.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Juniors cheer on their grade during the relay race. The Class of 2018 had various decorations and noisemakers to show their spirit.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Freshmen door decorations. The Class of 2020 were assigned the color red and created various posters based off of the reality TV show, The Bachelor.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Sixth grade students prepare their doorway Monday morning. The sixth grade dressed in yellow.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Sydney Shintani ’18 and Cat Oriel ’18, from left to right, clean up after Color Wars. The juniors’ slogan was “100% Chance of Re18n”.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Seniors decorate the door separating the Rose Room and Courtyard. Their artwork featured decorations, photographs and slogans.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Freshmen Dylan Marmur, Cydney Johnson and Amelia Nathanson sell cakes at the Cakes for Cancer Bake Sale. The event was held simultaneously to Color Wars.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang
  • Cupcakes from the Cake for Cancer Bake sale. All proceeds went to the UCLA Jonsson Comprehensive Cancer Center Foundation.

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang