Kristen Mundy, Elizabeth Zinman display senior art showcases

Uma+Halsted+18+walks+through+Elizabeth+Zinmans+exhibit%2C+entitled+SPRINGBREAK2005.+The+show+was+filled+with+themes+of+nostalgia+and+childhood+memories.+

Photo credit: Alexandra Chang

Uma Halsted ’18 walks through Elizabeth Zinman’s exhibit, entitled “SPRINGBREAK2005.” The show was filled with themes of nostalgia and childhood memories.

Fairytale and Spring Break — on Tuesday, May 5, Kristen Mundy ’17 displayed her ceramic works in “Forest of Fantastic Shadows,” while Elizabeth Zinman ’17 showed her artwork in “SPRINGBREAK2005”.

Kristen Mundy

Mundy has been taking ceramics classes at Archer for four years, but took a yearlong hiatus in tenth grade to take studio art.

All of Mundy’s pieces on display in the upstairs gallery were inspired by the story of Little Red Riding Hood. During first semester, Mundy created multiple pieces with the same theme, but they all broke. She noted that it took her a significant amount of time to make sure each piece was stable enough. Mundy constructed the rest of her art featured in the show throughout second semester.

Mundy explained that she works slowly and takes her time on each piece, therefore allowing herself to develop new concepts for other projects as she continued to perfect the final series.

Photo by Alexandra Chang
Mundy’s “Forest of Fantastic Shadows” display in the upstairs gallery. The show was open to students and faculty during X Block.

Mundy found most of her inspiration from her senior English seminar, Literature of Fairy Tale and Fantasy, and reading “Little Red Riding Hood” in the class.

“I’ve always been intrigued by that story and have an emotional connection to it, so when I first was trying to figure out what I was doing for [my senior showcase], I wanted to make a Little Red Riding Hood piece, and the rest of the pieces branched off of that fairy tale idea,” Mundy said.

The Cinderella dress featured in the show took Mundy about two and a half weeks to finish. After having the final idea for all of her art forms, Mundy began planning the layout of her display.

“I wanted it to look realistic but also magical and a little dark,” she said.

Photo by Alexandra Chang
Mundy’s display which features her two favorite sculptures, Cinderella and Little Red Riding Hood. She was inspired by her English class, Literature of Fairy Tale and Fantasy.

“I wrote stories to go with each piece as well. Ms. Sullivan definitely helped me with my showcase and was a wonderful teacher. She brought a whole bunch of branches from some of her trees. This resulted in me buying a bag of dirt and pouring it all over the pedestals,” Mundy said. “It all came together with some owl and forest sounds.”

Mundy said her favorite works in the series are her Little Red Riding Hood and Cinderella sculptures.

“I love the Red Riding Hood piece because it has a lot of movement, and it has personal significance for me. But I love the Cinderella piece, too, because I think the colors are beautiful — but not necessarily in a classically perfect way,” Mundy said. “I was really worried that people would think I was trying to do an ‘Into the Woods’ show, which wasn’t something I even thought about until I was done with all my pieces. I wanted my show to be original and different from any other art shows on campus.”

Elizabeth Zinman

In the Eastern Star Gallery,  Zinman displayed her senior art showcase, entitled “SPRINGBREAK2005.”

Photo by Alexandra Chang
Zinman’s exhibition in the Eastern Star Gallery. The show opened to students and faculty during X Block.

Zinman has always held a passion for art but noted that she found her appreciation for sculpture when she began taking ceramics in eighth grade.

Her show featured a collection works, which she had been developing for nearly a year and half. The entire show itself took Zinman approximately a month to plan.

“SPRINGBREAK2005” centered upon the themes of nostalgia and childhood memories. One piece featured in the gallery was a ceramic Jansport backpack, decorated with pins. Zinman also brought a bubble machine to the art opening, and bubbles flew through the air.

Zinman said her favorite part of the exhibit was her set of 12 sculptures, all of which were based off of one of the 12 zodiac signs.

“My process is very spontaneous. I don’t do a lot of planning or sketching; I just start putting things together until it feels right,” Zinman said. “It’s very intuitive.”