Archer Celebrates Diversity Day

Seniors explore sensitive topics during Diversity Day. Photo by Dan In

On Jan. 30, Archer had its 6th annual Diversity Day.

The day kicked off with the whole school being treated to a documentary called “Happy,” which examines how people from all over the world find happiness.

Students were inspired by the moving stories of individuals who overcame physical, emotional, and financial obstacles in search of true happiness. From a poor rickshaw driver in India to an ex-beauty queen who’s face was disfigured in an accident, they found inner peace and true beauty in their lives despite the hardships they endured.

After watching the documentary, the school spilt up into paired advisories to discuss it. Students touted how inspirational the individual stories were and how much it made them not only think about what makes them happy, but how much they take for granted.

These discussions prepared students to explore a wide range of topics in workshops led by classmates, teachers, and outside experts. Seminars included conversations with survivors of the Holocaust, the portrayal of women in music, unhealthy relationships, dwarfism, and world religions.

Photographer: Dan In
Photographer: Dan In

Alex Choe ’13, a senior who just celebrated her last Diversity Day, shared her thoughts: “I thought that this was the best Diversity Day that I have been a part of. Having been at Archer since the first Diversity Day, it’s been amazing to see how this annual event has evolved. There has been such a growth in the variety of the seminars and the involvement of the Archer community.”