Student council introduces new ideas for 2015-2016 school year

Student+checks+new+Student+Council+Instagram+for+updates+on+the+Archer+community.+The+Instagram+account+is+among+numerous+changes+taking+place+this+school+year.+

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang

Student checks new Student Council Instagram for updates on the Archer community. The Instagram account is among numerous changes taking place this school year.

Since the start of the school year, Archer student council has been working to create the best possible experience for the student body.

“We’re in a transformational period,” Meg Shirk, history teacher and faculty advisor for student council said.

The student council is made up of an executive board and three representatives from each grade. The executive board includes an all school president and three other student leaders who oversee the council.

“The ultimate goal of student council is to provide a student voice to the administration and faculty and to represent the broader desires of the community. But it’s also to build the community’s school spirit and highlight all the amazing students achievements,” Shirk said.

This year is different in student council. There are now specific committees, made up of student council members, that focus on different aspects of life at Archer. Each major event planned by student council now includes at least one member of each council to ensure that there is something that caters to everyone.

Claire Germano ’18 dresses at a tacky tourist during Spirit Week. Spirit Week is an annual event organized by student council. Photographer: Rosemary Pastron ’16

“Everyone is really spirited and dedicated. Everyone is working towards the same goal and no one is left behind,” Maya Wernick ’18, class representative, said about the new committees.

Each member of the council chooses to be on the committee(s) they feel passionate about.

Social Media is one of the new committees where students use social media accounts as outlets to spread information.

“Social Media committee has created an Instagram, @archerstuco. We wanted to mainstream it and put all the school’s information in one place,” Talia Goodman ’19, executive board member, said. “We’re trying to work with snapchat a little bit as something to pursue in the future.”

Student council is also trying to promote teacher appreciation this year. According to Goodman, it is all about appreciating Archer’s teachers for all they do and strengthening the relationship between students and faculty.

“Teacher appreciation is totally new and we’ve never done anything like this, which is really awesome,” Goodman said, “There will be a teacher appreciation week later in the year.”

Committees are not the only change this year. Student council envisions the community as whole becoming closer.

Juniors Izzy Kantz '16 and Haley Kerner '16 help to set up the carnival. Photographer: Syd Stone '16
Izzy Kantz ’16 and Haley Kerner ’16 set up for 2014 Halloween celebration organized by student council. Student council plans on modifying events like Halloween this year to maximize benefits for the student body. Photographer: Syd Stone ’16

“I really want to see more interaction between the whole student body. I think that middle school and high school are super separated and I think it’s really great when we’re integrated,” Goodman said. “I also want to maximize the student voice. Student council shouldn’t be the only one making decisions and saying how they feel and what they want. Honestly it should be the entire student body because that’s who we’re doing it for.”

Starting in December, open town hall meetings will return. During those meetings, students can voice their opinions about issues they find important. Students are also encouraged to talk to their class representatives, who can express feedback in their weekly student council meetings.

“The more voices we get, the better the job we can do as a council,” Shirk said.

Favorite events like Halloween and Spirit Week will be returning this year, but with a twist, along with some new activities.

“In November, we’ll probably have another student-faculty competition. We’re trying to do that every other month now,” Shirk said, “We’re also adding Archella this year in April. We have a lot of things this year to bring a smile to someone’s face.”