Meet the Candidate: Lucia Barker ’18

1. Choose a leadership quote and in a short paragraph explain how it applies to your “style” of leadership and why.

They say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself.

— Andy Warhol

I am someone who always takes initiative. I don’t wait around complaining bout things I don’t like; rather, I go out and seek to change things myself. This is incredibly important in leadership because I am able to make confident decisions. I am driven and passionate about everything I do, which is how I am able to effectively lead my peers. I think it’s vital to take initiative and change things for yourself if you want to see change.

2. As a student council member, what important goals would you have for student council? For Archer?

Student Council Executive Board candidate Lucia Barker’s yearbook photo.

This year, I worked hard to create an inclusive class environment with the other class reps and we saw an amazing increase in grade spirit. I want to make the whole school excited to be here with each other. In order to do that, we need to foster a community that is supportive and accepting. It is very important to me that we become a tight-knit upper school with friendships and support systems across all four grades. I would love to see seniors having lunch with freshmen regardless of their extracurriculars. I think a big/little sister program would really enhance the experience students have on student council. Having a mentor is extremely important in leadership, and it would bring the group together.

3. What are your plans for increasing school spirit and student participation at Archer?

As a member of Student Council, I would devote time to creating more buzz around sporting events, art shows, and artistic performances. While the directors and students create posters and send emails, it is important to me that I personally promote their talents. Archer is filled with some incredible talent; star athletes and pro-debaters along with the dancers and the orchestra members should be equally celebrated. I truly believe that once we can come together to support one another, the spirit and participation will skyrocket. If students are excited and happy about going to school with their peers, we will be a much happier, inclusive upper school. This past year, I think spirit points were slightly abused, and became incentive for everything. Next year I want to work closely with the community service board to more effectively use spirit points. Bringing in supplies and clothes does not demonstrate grade or school spirit, but rather a grade’s benevolence. If we had service points, we would be able to track a grade’s participation better and motivate students to get involved.

4. What role(s) do you think Student Council should play at Archer? Is Student Council currently fulfilling that role? If not, what changes do you propose to make it happen?

Archer’s Student Council has done an amazing job or cultivating spirited students with a genuine love for their school. The impact we make on the community is evident, and I cannot imagine a campus without a Student Council to make this place really what it is. I remember touring Archer when I was in the 5th grade on a Friday lunch, and student council was playing music in the courtyard. My tour guide told me that every Friday they play themed music and students have to figure out and guess what the theme is. Something as simple as that hooked me on the school, because what I saw was a community of all ages singing, dancing, and having fun because of Student Council. While we may not see music Friday’s every Friday, Student Council has grown into something that puts on much bigger events that draw all types of students. Fostering an inclusive community that encourages the students to be themselves and celebrate their strengths has always been the goal of Student Council, and I think it continues to do so.

Within Student Council, the members of executive board lead and shape younger students into strong leaders to continue strengthening the group. As a class rep in 6th grade, I remember feeling so inspired by the then-president, Victoria, because of her poise, patience, and assertiveness. I have watched each president since her show the same qualities, but there have been many different types of presidents, all with different ways of leading. Student Council fosters a growth-mindset environment where Upper-Schoolers are mentors and advisors, and younger members are sisters and friends. It’s important to me, as an older member on Student Council, that this is maintained and the group continues to foster young leaders. In order to continue this, I think Student Council should participate in more activities similar to the retreat in the beginning of the year. Having a big-sister/little-sister program could really strengthen the relationships within Student Council and make for a more cohesive group. I believe that with a strong Executive Board, Student Council could function to the best of it’s ability.

5. Why do you want to be on Student Council, really?

Student Council is a place where I feel extremely comfortable; in part because of the amazing people I’m surrounded by, but mostly due to my inherent leadership skills. Advocating for my grade and putting together events for them and the entire school has been such a fulfilling experience, and I would love to continue being a part of Student Council. I have always been an active leader in the Archer community, whether that’s in class, with friends, or as a class rep, and I do a good job of fostering an accepting, passionate, and energetic environment. Executive Board would allow me to naturally progress in Student Council and take on more responsibilities. It is an amazing group to be a part of and I want to be able to make an impact on the school and my sisters.