Meet the Candidate: Grace Wilson ’20

1. Choose a leadership quote and in a short paragraph explain how it applies to your “style” of leadership and why.

Try to be a rainbow in someone’s cloud.

— Maya Angelou

I chose this quote because it touches on a few vital aspects of leadership. The first would be that a true leader strives to make bad situations better. As an Executive Board member, my goal would be to do exactly this. I would work to enhance the lives of Archer students in all realms and bring color and happiness into their lives. In each role I would play as an Exec Board member, I would keep the wellbeing of Archer girls in mind. Another leadership quality I aim to have that is commented on through this quote’s language is the ability of affecting both an individual as well as a whole group. While it is very important to me that whatever group I am leading is overall happy, I always still focus on individuals in groups to make sure that everyone, separate from the group, is doing well. One way I implement this aspect of leadership into being a Student Council member is as simple as giving a hug to someone in the hallway who seems down.

2. As a student council member, what important goals would you have for Student Council? For Archer?

One of my main goals regarding Student Council is to function more sustainably. Waste is an issue Student Council often faces — excess food and use of paper are two examples that come to mind — however, focussing on what we could do differently would contribute to a more sustainable campus. I would also like to make Student Council more accessible to the student body. Because being a voice for the students is a main objective of Student Council, I think that it would be really beneficial to get more feedback and ideas from everyone throughout the year, especially since everyone has such a unique perspective. In terms of Archer as a whole, a goal of mine would be to become more united. While I want to continue the already existent grade rivalry and spirit of individual grades, I also want to incorporate more chances for spirit and unity among all grades, like student VS. faculty games and activities. This links to the goal of inclusivity I have for Archer. Archer girls are so special and I think that teaming up together would lead to a lot of success.

Student Council Executive Board candidate Grace Wilson’s yearbook photo.

3. What are your plans for increasing school spirit and student participation at Archer?

I think that in order to increase school spirit, it is important to focus on inclusivity. I think it is crucial that we recognize that school spirit can be seen in many different ways, ranging from participating in drives to cheering loudly and dressing extravagantly for school events. On this note, I think it is a good idea to incorporate an artistic element or competition into every event that Student Council hosts so that certain people don’t feel left out and so there are more opportunities for spirit points. In addition, I think that making sure that all members of the community are accounted for in terms of spirit points will be a great way to increase participation. Another way to increase school spirit is by altering the environment so that students and faculty are more naturally inclined to attend events and participate. I also think that rewards, such as food, prizes, spirit points, and even just a fun time are great ways to increase spirit. Lastly, I think that hyping up an event for weeks in advance is really beneficial and gets everyone very excited.

4. What role(s) do you think Student Council should play at Archer? Is Student Council currently fulfilling that role? If not, what changes do you propose to make it happen?

First and foremost, Student Council serves as a voice of the student body and as a liaison between the students and the faculty. Because of this role, it is important that Student Council members are able to listen to and communicate the needs of the students. It is also Student Council’s role to promote spirit through leading by example and planning really fun events that everyone wants to take part in. Student Council members should enhance everyones school experience everyday by being supportive and helpful, both on a large scale and a smaller scale (like giving someone a hug in the hallway). Overall, Student Council members should work hard for the benefit of the community and should strive for success in all realms, such as student happiness and organization of events.

5. Why do you want to be on Student Council, really?

I want to be on Student Council because I care deeply about the students at Archer and I am passionate about serving the Archer community. Because I care so much about each and every student here, I know that I would be committed to ensuring happiness around the school and making everyone’s experiences positive. Additionally, I thoroughly enjoy being a leader, especially in the Archer community. Serving on student council as a class rep for the past 2 years has surely been the best part of my Archer experience. While some people are able to express themselves through art or sports, Student Council is my outlet for expression and I love attending the weekly meetings more than anything. To continue, as someone who is concerned with the school’s success, I think that I would do a great job on the Executive Board.