Meet the Candidate: Juliet Youssef ’19

1. Choose a leadership quote and in a short paragraph explain how it applies to your “style” of leadership and why.

The task of leadership is not to put greatness into humanity, but to elicit it, for the greatness is already there

— John Buchan

Every single person is a leader, even if they are only leading their own lives. I am the type of leader that likes to voice my opinion and try to help others voice theirs. A great leader is someone who can spark the people are them to take action. I am a person who likes to lead by example; leading by example lends itself to great teamwork which is essential for a successful environment. Leadership, in my opinion, takes more than one person to truly accomplish something great and I am a better leader when I am surrounded by amazing people who contribute their own “greatness” into every task.

2. As a student council member, what important goals would you have for Student Council? For Archer?

My focus is on school bonding and friendliness between the grades. Inclusivity is a really important part of Archer that needs to be maintained and promoted. I want to make every single Archer girl feel like they belong and is accepted for who they are or what grade they are in. I would also like to make Student Council a place where all voices are heard, not just the loud ones. An important role of Student Council is making sure that student have a platform to speak; I would like to make it easier for students to have that platform and feel comfortable to do so.

Student Council Executive Board candidate Juliet Youssef’s yearbook photo.

3. What are your plans for increasing school spirit and student participation at Archer?

As a class representative, I know how hard it can be to try to increase school spirit and
participation. I have learned that one person cannot force others to participate, especially if they are not interested in doing so, and that true school spirit must be elicited from within. I think the key to increasing school spirit is getting the student body to enjoy what they are participating in. Student Council does a great job of having a range of activities for Archer girls to engage in; I would like to open the activities to more students with varying talents. A lot of activities are focused on physical skill, and I would love to see more artistic abilities showed off as well as unknown talents within the student body. It would also be really exciting. to have the students make their own new festival by allowing them to make suggestions and choosing what activities they would want to participate in.

4. What roles do you think Student Council should play at Archer? Is Student Council currently fulfilling that role? If not, what changes do you propose to make it happen?

Student Council should be the link between the student body and the administration/faculty; ideally, Student Council communicates the needs of the students and works on ways to improve the community. Students should feel comfortable to voice their opinions and they should also feel well informed on what is happening within the Archer community (for example, upcoming events and ways to get involved). Student Council creates­ activities that foster school spirit and an inclusive environment. The students on Student Council lead by example and are approachable so that the student body and faculty feel comfortable expressing theirs needs, feedback, and ideas. I believe that Student council should inspire the community around them and activate student leadership within everyone. Overall, Student Council makes school a better place with a loving environment.

I think Student Council is currently doing a wonderful job! Throughout this school year, there have been so many new events in addition to the traditional events that have raised the energy and spirit of the school. Everyone on Student Council is understanding, helpful, and genuinely cares about the welfare of the school. They have been a huge bond between the student body and faculty with good communication. To improve Student Council, I would like to make Student Council more accessible to the rest of the students. I also think that school-wide bonding can be improved so that we can create a better, inclusive, environment.

5. Why do you want to be on Student Council, really?

I genuinely love being a part of Student Council. As a class rep, I have made so many new friends and have had so many cool opportunities. I love that Archer gives us a chance to be leaders within our community. I want to utilize my own strengths, the strengths of everyone on Student Council, and the whole student body to achieve ours goals. Student Council is a great way to communicate with the student body and faculty while making an impact. Student Council gives the students a voice and a chance to create the school that they want to be a part of. My love and enthusiasm for Archer can be shown using this platform and I hope that it will be contagious throughout the school. Being on the Executive Board is a new challenge that will take me out of my comfort zone and teach me a lot of valuable life lessons.