Archer Students Value Food Above All Else

A yummy treat created by hungry Archer Girls. Source: Archer Facebook

The prevalence of food at Archer has always been subject to friendly mockery, signified by Archer’s unofficial name as the “Archer School for Food.”

It is still a matter of contention whether or not the majority of Archer events are held with the primary incentive of forming food-gatherings: members of advisory bring in food for their group two days a week, and on Friday mornings, Archer families bond with chips, Nutella, and other confections.

An outsider of the community might suspect neglecting to bring a container of strawberries and a package of blueberry muffins does not elicit the kind of outrage—or controversy—which Archer student offenders often encounter.

Such an outsider would clearly not be familiar with the politics of bringing food to Archer—a place where eager students inhale impressive quantities of food on a day-to-day basis. Students’ capacity for food is as remarkable as it is alarming.

"Nutella To Go Packets" are one of the hottest items at the Store right now. Photographer: Zaire Dupont-Armstrong
Nutella To Go Packets 
Photographer: Zaire Dupont-Armstrong ’16

There are unspoken rules which students and faculty members are keenly aware of: holidays celebrated at school—like the upcoming annual celebration of Halloween—require food. This evidence seems to point to a greater trend: it need not be a holiday for food to be expected in the hallways, in the classrooms, and on the tables in the courtyard.

Based on this, I can assure you—although this is not a measured statistic—that you are within 10 feet of delicious confections at any given point on the Archer campus. Locating food on this campus is not a problem.

Finding someone to share food with you, however, is a problem. Perhaps we can have a meeting promoting the friendly distribution of food on the campus. I am interested in such a meeting—that is, as long as one generous Archer student brings muffins.

Featured Image: A yummy treat created by hungry Archer Girls. Source: Archer Facebook