Filed under NEWS

Archer community celebrates Chinese New Year

The Chinese 2 class performs the traditional dragon dance. The students made the dragon  in Archer's IDEA Lab.

The Chinese 2 class performs the traditional dragon dance. The students made the dragon in Archer's IDEA Lab.

Photo by Emma London

Photo by Emma London

A big red dragon danced throughout the courtyard, tables displaying calligraphy lined the grass, and popular Chinese music played.

These were all parts of Archer’s Chinese New Year celebration on Friday, Feb 23, to celebrate the year of the earth dog. Students in each Chinese language class helped to organize the festivities.

“Each grade had a different part to prepare,” Jenna Gestetner ’21 said.

Chinese 1A, 1B and 2 classes worked with Cory Bluemling and Mike Carter in the IDEA Lab to build and design a dragon for the traditional dragon dance they they performed.

Click the video below to watch part of the dance.

To perform the dance, dancers wove through the courtyard holding the dragon up with poles. Other students were allowed to join in and performed the dance as well. Chinese 1A students also performed a hip-hop dance to a Chinese songs.

Video by Cybele Zhang

The celebration also had booths displaying Chinese themed activities. One offered shuttlecock, a game where multiple people try to keep the shuttlecock from hitting the ground by kicking it, while another offered paper lantern making.

Students could also decorate red envelopes and practice calligraphy. Additionally, there was free boba milk tea for the community to enjoy made by the Chinese 3 class.

“[The celebration] was a way of recognizing and appreciating Chinese culture at school,” Saskia Wong-Smith ‘18, a member of the Chinese 4 class, said. “It was a lot of fun.”

Emma London, Correspondent
Emma London joined the Oracle in 2017 as a correspondent. She loves to write poetry and read so-bad-they’re-good young adult novels. She is on Archer’s equestrian team and plays the viola in upper school orchestra.
4 Comments

4 Responses to “Archer community celebrates Chinese New Year”

1. Cate Childers on March 16th, 2018 11:27 am

I wish that it was a little more specific on who was a part on each of the classes but over all the article was well covered.

2. Anna Friedman on March 16th, 2018 11:27 am

I love how this article tells you information on what the Archer School for Girls celebrates for differnt cultures. It shows we are a diverse community.

3. Lacey Thompson on March 16th, 2018 11:30 am

This gave me a understanding of what really happened during the Chinese New Year celebration. I also never knew that the middle schoolers were the ones who made that dragon so this article really helped.

4. Lulu Manzur on March 16th, 2018 11:42 am

This articles shows that archer celebrates so many different cultures so everybody is included. This article informed me about the making of the dragon as well.

• Archer community celebrates Chinese New Year

Class of 2018 graduates Archer

Students wrap up research at annual STEM Symposium

Archer holds first senior vs. faculty relay race in place of annual kickball game

Exclusive: Q&A with incoming Class Body President Juliet Youssef ’19

Anna Brodsky ’20 ends Archer’s speech drought, qualifies for state championship tournament

MULTIMEDIA

7th grade Arrow Week photo competition winner announced

‘We call B.S.:’ Student organized rally calls for advocacy, gun legislation reform

Students hang pennants on National College Decision Day

Cydney Davis ’18 wins Hekymara Scholarship

Breaking: The Arrow moves to Classroom Village