Letter to the Editor: USC Alumni Day of SCervice

On Saturday, March 10, USC held its annual USC Alumni Day of SCervice, which had approximately 35 USC Annenberg alumni and about 35 high schools students from the Los Angeles area that joined together to participate in a networking opportunity.

The day was focused on coaching and mentoring students to learn how to develop their brand. This program was beneficial in preparing us, high school students, in the power of professional versus personal branding — which is an essential life skill that will come in handy for success in college and the professional world.

There were three sessions. The first was led by Al Naipo, Veteran News Reporter and Chief Administrative Officer at Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Commission, who focused on helping students understand how to maintain professionalism with your personal brand.

Next, Ashley Tesoriero, National Marketing Specialist at IMT Residential, focused on outlining personal experiences.

Finally, Emma Forbes, a radio and television presenter, talked about helping students shape and package their personal stories.

My highlight of the day was the one-on-one time that I had with Al Naipo, my mentor. We discussed the power of social media and how it influences teens, the power of portraying professional imagery and the power of authenticity in social posts.

Through this experience, I met many inspirational USC alumni and most importantly I made a powerful connection with Al Naipo, one I hope to continue in the future.

–  Sophie Pollack ’20