Filed under NEWS, SHOWCASE

BREAKING: Head of School Elizabeth English will remain at Archer next year

The+sixth+grade+class+sang+to+Head+of+School+Elizabeth+English+on+her+birthday.+English+provided+this+photo+to+encapsulate+the+school%27s+culture%2C+which+she+said+was+the+primary+reason+she+decided+to+remain+at+Archer.+
The sixth grade class sang to Head of School Elizabeth English on her birthday. English provided this photo to encapsulate the school's culture, which she said was the primary reason she decided to remain at Archer.

Photo credit: Elizabeth English

Photo credit: Elizabeth English

On Wednesday, October 31, Archer parents received an email stating that Head of School Elizabeth English will remain at Archer next year after taking a six-month sabbatical starting in July. This email provided an update on a communication that students and parents received in August, which stated that English would assume the headship at the National Cathedral School in Washington, D.C. for the 2019-2020 school year.

English emphasized that the National Cathedral School is “extraordinary,” but that the “incredible” school culture at Archer — specifically, the quality of instruction and the professional community — was ultimately what prompted her decision to stay.

“It’s been clear, over the past few weeks, that this is a community and a school that was almost impossible for me to leave. I love this place, and I just had a very, very heavy heart,” she said in a phone interview. “That was just very difficult for me to walk away from.”

Elizabeth English has been the Head of School at Archer for the past eleven years. Though she had announced her intent to leave the school earlier this year, she said that her “love” for the community prompted her to stay. Photo courtesy of English.

Over the past decade, English created the Archer Forward construction plan, which was met with opposition from many of the school’s neighbors. She emphasized that the “contentious” process drew her focus away from education and towards more administrative tasks.

“The last four years of mine and my team’s work has been dominated by a lot of opposition [and] litigation — a lot of difficulty that was not about teaching and learning,” she said. “I came here to focus on empowering girls, and creating a learning environment that was relevant, engaging and healthy, and that’s the work I want to continue to do here. I think the board has created an opportunity for me to get back to that.”

English said that the opening of the new Academic Center will provide her with an opportunity to oversee such educational initiatives.

“We can see in what the IdeaLab and the MediaSpace did for our programs, and for teaching and learning, and for student outcomes, that the spaces do matter, and they do transform the learning,” she said. “The first thing we’re going to be focused on is really using the academic center to take our teaching and learning to the next level.”

About the Writer
Anna Brodsky, Editor-in-Chief

Anna Brodsky joined the Oracle staff in 2016. She took a hiatus  for the 2017-2018 school year to fulfill her art credit by serving as copy editor for the yearbook. She returned to the Oracle in 2018 as Editor-in-Chief. During the summer of 2017, Brodsky attended the National Student Leadership Conference in Journalism. Outside of the Oracle, she is involved in the Speech and Debate team, orchestra, Honor Education council, and Harry Potter Club. 

10 Comments

10 Responses to “BREAKING: Head of School Elizabeth English will remain at Archer next year”

1. Francesca Horton on November 1st, 2018 8:20 am

I loved this article. I am so happy that Ms. English is staying at Archer. She is an amazing head of school and I am glad to have her at Archer. I hope that we have an amazing school year!

2. Emma on November 1st, 2018 8:24 am

I am really excited to have the opportunity to get to know Ms. English more. I loved all the different angles shown in this arcticle. Great job!

3. Addie Myers on November 1st, 2018 8:28 am

I love how uplifting the article was and I love how Ms. English is going to stay!

4. Rachel Chung on November 1st, 2018 8:30 am

I LOVE that Ms. English is staying at Archer!!! She has made such an impact on our school we can never forget.

5. Sarah Jean Bynum on November 1st, 2018 8:35 am

I like how there were a lot of emotionally based quotes and how you finally made an article about Ms English staying. I am so grateful and hope that there are more articles for me to read which there are. I also like the fact that there were a lot of things that you said about what Ms anguish said that is all I have to say.

6. Piper Kaplan on November 1st, 2018 8:40 am

This is such exciting news! I am so happy that Ms. Englishis staying. Although this is my first year at this school, I can tell that she added so much effort and commitment into this school, and she is the most strong women I know! I am so glad she is staying to teach our new fellow sisters about leadership.

7. Anisa Rouvi on November 1st, 2018 8:41 am

I think this is so amazing that Ms. English is staying, the amount of effort and commitment she has put into this school is extraordinary. When my parents got the email they were so joyful and excited to tell me. I think Ms. English is going to do great things and we are all going to learn and grow even more! I can’t wait for the school year upon us!

8. Ryanne Kelly on November 1st, 2018 8:47 am

I really loved reading this article. It had so much detail about why Ms English was staying and how she felt about the Archer community. It made me really happy to be a student here at Archer.

9. Isabella on November 1st, 2018 9:02 pm

Amazing article Anna!

10. Grace on November 12th, 2018 4:47 pm

anna, thank you for reporting on something so important to the archer community! you truly feed my journalistic needs.