Filed under COLUMNISTS, SHOWCASE, VOICES

Column: The tur-key to a picky Thanksgiving

Cheese+Gobbles+on+a+table+at+a+Wernick+family+Thanksgiving.+Highly+recommended+for+the+holidays%21+

Cheese Gobbles on a table at a Wernick family Thanksgiving. Highly recommended for the holidays!

Photo credit: Courtney Wernick

Photo credit: Courtney Wernick

Photo credit: Courtney Wernick

Thanksgiving: the classic American holiday filled with hand turkeys, orange decorations and most importantly, food. Every year, there are internet memes and jokes about everyone stuffing their stomachs until there is no room left. Sure, Thanksgiving is a fabulous holiday for me due to our annual family football game and tradition of going around the dinner table saying what we are grateful for. I do love the holiday for all of the amusing yearly memories it creates, but other than that, it is just another regular dinner for me where I have to pick and choose what little food I can eat on the table.

Every year, I go down the line of food, searching for something acceptable to eat. But I have to pass everything by until I get to my own mother aka the famous Amy Wernick’s not-so-famous Cheese Gobbles (I highly recommend — 10/10). Except for a handful of Cheese Gobbles, I leave the food for the rest of my family to enjoy. And no, they aren’t complaining that they get extra stuffing or mashed potatoes because of me, but it still is a fun family game for them to see what food I am willing to try every year.

While I, and most others, do consider myself as a picky eater, I also am very proud to say that I eat more than I did a couple of years ago. If you asked 5-year-old me if she would eat some Cheese Gobbles, she would have laughed in your face and asked for some pasta with sauce on the side. Now, every Thanksgiving, I cannot stop taking the Gobbles off the platter and consider them one of my favorite foods. Since then, my family has had me try new foods every year, and I have learned that not all foods aside from pasta are terrible. I am eternally grateful that I have branched out and tried new things because if I didn’t, I would never have discovered some of my favorites.

As my family members have grown more accustomed to me not eating everything — or, more accurately, basically not eating anything — they also have grown more comfortable with me bringing a couple bags of Goldfish along with me to our family gatherings.

If you are a picky eater like me and can barely force down any Thanksgiving-related foods, here is a great, easy recipe for the famous Amy Wernick’s Cheese Gobbles that we like to make every year. Be sure to make a lot, because if your family is like mine, no matter how many Gobbles we make, they tend to disappear in seconds.

Firstly, take a large bowl and blend ⅔ cups of frozen butter and 1⅔ cups of gruyere cheese together. Add in 2 cups of flour, 1 heaping teaspoon of salt and 1 heaping teaspoon of paprika. As those are mixing, start adding ½ teaspoon of baking powder and 1 cup of whipping cream alternately. Blend until a soft dough is formed, then refrigerate until the dough is hard enough to roll. After it is hard enough, roll it onto a heavily floured surface until about ½ inch thick. After this step, the Wernicks will usually use a turkey-shaped cookie cutter to make perfectly themed Thanksgiving bites.

After the dough is cut to the desired shape, mix 1 egg yolk with 2 teaspoons of water and brush each piece. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and bake in the oven set to 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 10 to 15 minutes.

Enjoy these gobbles, and enjoy the holidays with whoever you choose to spend them with. More importantly, though, try something new to eat. You may become grateful for your expanded food horizons. I hope you had a happy Thanksgiving, picky eaters!

Courtney Wernick, Columnist

Courtney Wernick became a columnist in 2018. She focuses on food for picky eaters and writes about how to survive holidays and other events through the...

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Column: The tur-key to a picky Thanksgiving”

1. Ainsley on November 23rd, 2018 7:44 pm

This is so good! The author came up with a very creative title that made me and my mom (who read the article as well) giggle. What a well written piece! I can’t wait to try some cheese gobblers!

2. Vivien Tierney on November 23rd, 2018 7:55 pm

I am not going to try these cheese gobbles myself, because i’m lactose intolerant; however, I love the message of the piece and love the timely holiday spirit.

3. Nelly Rouzroch on November 26th, 2018 10:42 am

love this whole idea Court especially the punny headlines. keep up the good work.

• Column: The tur-key to a picky Thanksgiving

COLUMNISTS

Column: Complexity of colorism in Latinx community

COLUMNISTS

Column: Learn from rodents — leave tree chopping to beavers

COLUMNISTS

LA lifestyle: Where food and social scenes mix deliciously

COLUMNISTS

Column: Halloween — too little, too choco-late

COLUMNISTS

Column: In praise of Halloween’s spookiest animals

COLUMNISTS

Column: Serena Williams challenges status quo

COLUMNISTS

Column: We don’t all look like that – reinforced Latina beauty standards are harmful and unrealistic

COLUMNISTS

Column: Smells like teen spirit

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Column: Why I Cry at the Movies

COLUMNISTS

Column: What food means to me