Rain, rain, go away: TV shows for a gloomy winter day 

With the rainy season upon us, it’s time to sit back, relax, light a few candles, grab some popcorn and watch a binge-worthy show nestled in bed. Here are my top recommendations guaranteed to make the best of a rainy day.

“You” promotional poster. This eerie show is perfect for a cloudy day.

“You”

This Netflix original thriller will keep you on your toes and showcases an eerie modern love story. The series follows Joe (Penn Badgley), an employee at an old bookshop in Brooklyn. While working, he meets a girl named Beck (Elizabeth Lail), who he immediately falls in love with and begins to obsess over. I won’t give away too much, but all I can say is that things go downhill from their very first encounter. This series gives the viewer unique insight into how stalker thinks and justifies his actions. It is rated TV-MA; therefore, I advise younger readers to wait a few years before watching.

“Chilling Adventures of Sabrina”

Produced and created by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa, the creator of Riverdale, this Netflix original features a dark new take on the popular ’90s sitcom. The show has a creepy feel to it which is perfect for a rainy day. Watch as Sabrina, played by the talented Kiernan Shipka, struggles to balance her life as a witch and a mortal in her town of Greendale. As you’re watching, you’ll be consumed by curiosity about which path she’ll ultimately choose.

Black Mirror Season Four promotional poster. Season five’s premiere date is still unknown.

“Black Mirror”

This Netflix original series focuses on our relationship with technology, reinforcing the unsettling idea that our society is destroying itself with new innovations. Many of the fictional societies in the show bear an uncanny resemblance to our own, which will get you thinking about what could happen to our world if the right — or wrong — circumstances arise. Almost every episode has something to offer, but the episodes that stand out to me are “Arkangel” and “Nosedive”. Arkangel focuses on a mother who puts a chip in her child’s head that lets her see through her eyes, track her and shield her from scary or inappropriate content. Nosedive focuses on Lacie (Bryce Dallas Howard) and her desperation to get the highest rating possible in a world where rating defines status and wealth. This show is for mature audiences.

“Gilmore Girls”

This classic show is centered around a relationship between a daughter, Rory (Alexis Biedel), and single mother, Lorelai (Lauren Graham). The show focuses on the ups and downs of life, in addition to rites of passage, such as attending a new school or getting accepted into college. As you dive deeper into the show, you become invested in Rory and Lorelai’s relationship, feeling as if every one of their achievements is yours and each downfall is a slap to the face. You can watch all seven seasons of the show on Netflix.

About the Writer
Liz Haltrecht, Culture Editor

Liz Haltrecht joined the Oracle staff in 2016 and remained a contributing writer in 2017. She is so excited to take on the role of Culture Editor in the...