Filed under VOICES, WHIMSIES

18 of ’18: Oracle staff’s top songs of 2018

The Oracle staff handpicked their favorite and most influential songs of 2018. Start your new year by tuning into our past favorites. Infographic designed by Amelia Stone.

Some of the songs featured on this list contain explicit language and subject matters. We recommend the “clean” playlist below for younger readers. 

As the first month of 2019 wraps up, the Oracle staff wants to share 18 of our favorite and songs of the past year for you to add to your playlist.

Amelia’s pick: “Light On” by Maggie Rogers

On Rogers‘ debut album “Heard it in a Past Life” comes the mellow pop song “Light On.” Rogers is an alternative singer-songwriter who got her claim to fame because of the song “Alaska” she wrote about a trip she had taken with the National Outdoor Leadership School [NOLS]. 

Lola’s pick: “It’s Not Living (If It’s Not With You)” by The 1975

The 1975 is an English pop-rock band comprised of four members, with lead singer Matthew Healy commanding center stage. Don’t assume so fast, however, that this upbeat pop song’s emotional lyrics are about a passionate longing for the singer’s SO. On the contrary, the song reveals the struggle of Healy’s heroin addiction, which he has previously opened up about to the public.

Nicki’s pick: “Tequila” by Dan + Shay

Dan + Shay are a country duo who released their song, “Tequila,” on Jan. 15, 2018. “Tequila” is featured on Dan + Shay’s self-titled third album, and the song details the recounting of memories. The catchy lyrics make this a song you will memorize after listening just a few times. It’s the perfect song to listen to, no matter where you are or what you’re doing.

Allie’s pick: “Trampoline” by SHAED

SHAED, an up-and-coming pop-rock trio, shares unique lyrics combined with harmonic tunes. Released in the album MELT, which consists of seven songs, this song is perfect for a sing-a-long on a long car ride. 

Chloe’s pick: “Be Your Friend” by Vigiland

Released on March 2, Vigiland’s “Be Your Friend” is a dance song featuring Alexander Tidebrink. Prepare to move your feet to the Swedish EDM group’s groovy tune. The positive message and upbeat tempo always make you want to sing along and leave you smiling.

Thea’s pick: “Queen” by Shawn Mendes

Shawn Mendes’ self-titled third album was released on May 25. ” This song sticks out due to its catchy and peppy nature. 

Liz’s pick: “Slow Dancing in the Dark” by Joji

Slow Dancing in the Dark comes from lo-fi artist Joji’s album, “BALLADS 1.” This is Joji’s second album, released on Oct. 26, 2018. Joji’s mellow beat brings in the good, relaxed vibes. 

Emma’s pick: “Postcard” by Troye Sivan

“Postcard” was released on Aug. 31, in Sivan’s long-awaited album Bloom. I’m a big fan of sad songs, and Postcard is the ultimate sad song. With a beautiful piano melody, Sivan’s chilling voice really stands out. The song is a duet with Australian singer Gordi, and their two voices perfectly intertwine.  

Rio’s pick: “Shallow” by Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga

From the Golden Globe-nominated film “A Star is Born” came the vocal pairing we never knew we needed: Stefani “Lady Gaga” Germanotta and Bradley Cooper. Germanotta and Cooper play two musicians, Ally and Jackson Maine, who created the country love ballad “Shallow” throughout the movie. The song provides the classic musical theater feel and storytelling elements I love without having the jazzy, dialogue-filled jaunts that sometimes keep it from feeling accessible. It touches on the universal themes of love, alienation and freedom. The song is poignant, poetic and perfect.

Infographic designed by: Amelia Stone
The Oracle staff’s top 18 songs of 2018.

Grace and Lauren’s pick: “Upper West Side” by King Princess

King Princess’ debut EP, “Make My Bed” released on June 15. Upper West Side is the third song on the pop singer’s album. It features King Princess’ vocals and some amazing guitar riffs.

Courtney’s pick: “thank u, next” by Ariana Grande

Ariana Grande’s single, “thank u, next,” was released on Nov. 3. The pop singer’s song discusses the ins and outs former relationships, and its music video parodies classic teen movies “Mean Girls,” “13 Going on 30“, “Bring it On” and “Legally Blonde.”

Ms. Taylor’s pick: “Make Me Feel” by Janelle Monáe

Janelle Monáe is a dynamic, original artist, who released her most recent album, “Dirty Computer,” in April. Although all of the songs on the album are great, “Make Me Feel” stands out for its pure joy. “Make Me Feel” has elements of Prince’s musical style from the start, so there is no surprise that Monáe collaborated with him before he died.

Ella’s pick: “So Close” by NOTD

Swedish group NOTD released their song “So Close” featuring artist Georgia Ku on Nov. 2. The dance song is all you will need to get energized this new year. Its upbeat rhythm will make you want to dance but in reality, the song’s melancholy lyrics reveal a deeper sadness surrounding love and loss. 

Anna’s pick: “High Hopes” by Panic! at the Disco

Originally released on May 23, Panic! at the Disco’s “High Hopes” was re-released on June 22, 2018, for the band’s sixth studio album, “Pray for the Wicked.” This song’s evident energy and uplifting lyrics will make you feel empowered in a heartbeat. 

Caitlin’s pick: “MIA” by Bad Bunny ft. Drake

“MIA,” Puerto-Rican rapper Bad Bunny and Drake’s single, was released on Oct. 11, 2018. MIA is Bad Bunny’s sixth single. The song’s beat is infectious and will have you tapping your feet.

Celeste’s pick: “NI BIEN NI MAL” by Bad Bunny

Bad Bunny released his debut studio album “X 100PRE” on Dec. 24, which features “NI BIEN NI MAL.”  The song’s mix of the acoustic guitar and a Latin trap beat will have you playing it on repeat.

Zoe’s pick: “Cheetah Tongue” by The Wombats

The English rock trio The Wombats released their album, “Beautiful People Will Ruin Your Life“, on Feb. 9, 2018. Cheetah Tongue kicks off the album with its amazing guitar solos you can’t help dancing to.

Molly’s pick: “Saturday Nights” by Khalid

Khalid released his EP, “Suncity,” on Oct. 19. The album features seven songs, including Saturday Nights, the album’s third song. His music – especially “Saturday Nights” – is a perfect blend of pop and R&B. 

About the Photographer
Amelia Stone, Staff Writer

Amelia Stone joined the Oracle as a staff writer in 2018. She loves tennis and plays for the Archer varsity team. She is involved in Archer's Model United Nations club and works at the California Heritage Museum outside of school. She is the co-founder of the HerArts club, a club that focuses on feminism in the art world. In her spare time, you can find her at art museums or baking.

1 Comment

One Response to “18 of ’18: Oracle staff’s top songs of 2018”

1. grace wilson on February 11th, 2019 12:20 pm

good job Amelia. I love how you always speak the truth!!!

• 18 of ’18: Oracle staff’s top songs of 2018

OPINION

Op-Ed: #PelosiClap — Nancy Pelosi’s sarcastic clapping just stole Trump’s show

COLUMNISTS

Column: What it’s actually like being Latina in the classroom

COLUMNISTS

Column: Lights, Camera, Action — Street Food Cinema’s groovy outdoor movies

Letters to the Editor

Letter to the Editor: FBI Teen Academy

COLUMNISTS

Column: Let them eat…pretzels?

COLUMNISTS

Column: Killing two birds with one stoner — marijuana industry affects native wildlife

COLUMNISTS

Column: Why would I mispronounce my name?

VOICES

Paws-itively perfect: Dogs bring joy, calm to community

COLUMNISTS

Thrifting and sifting: An insight into Melrose Trading Post

COLUMNISTS

Column: What’s all this squawk about? Parrots flock to Los Angeles