Community connects: Pride Month celebration fosters ‘acceptance’, ‘supportive environment’

• Posters hang on the Rose Room window, centering around the transgender flag. Students were able to write an answer to a prompt on the posters about the different aspects of being queer. One of the posters read, “I love my queer friends because… they help me just like I help and support them.”

Photo credit: Katie Ray McKillop
  • Students participate in activities along the table as a way to celebrate Pride Month. The celebration had a bracelet and a poster making station. GSA also handed out candy and decorations at the table.

Photo credit: Katie Ray McKillop
  • Maya Hernandez (’27) and Olivia Hallinan-Gan (’26) pose with paper fans inspired by the LGBTQ+ flag. Upon reflecting on her time at the celebration, Hallinan-Gan said it was a fun. “It was just a really good time to reflect on queer media and queer spaces in [the] Archer community and beyond,” Hallinan-Gan said.

Photo credit: Katie Ray McKillop
  • A middle school student holds the asexual flag while she talks to Coach Coleman. Vivianne Arnold (’26) said she loved how many people came to celebrate, including people who aren’t a part of GSA. “It was everything I could [have] hoped for and more,” Arnold said.

Photo credit: Katie Ray McKillop
  • Three students hold out their wrists to show their bracelets they made at the celebration. Natalie London (’26) said she had a great time making bracelets and that it was a supportive space. “I really felt the encouraging and uplifting community that defines Archer as a school,” London said. “I had a really fun time.”

Photo credit: Katie Ray McKillop
  • Posters taped against the window display different students responses about the aspects of being queer. One poster says their queer icon is the lesbian pop singer Chappell Roan. Bryce Collis (’25) said she answered this prompt with Renee Rapp, but she also likes Lesley Gore, Freddie Mercury and David Bowie.

Photo credit: Katie Ray McKillop

With Chappell Roan blasting on the speakerphones and the Rose Room windows adorned with pride flags, the Archer community’s early celebration of Pride Month occurred May 17 in the courtyard. The event featured a table of rainbow decorations such as feather boas and fans, a bracelet making table and a station for community members to write responses to prompts about queer culture and identity.

The Gender Sexuality Alliance affinity group spent approximately one month planning this event, utilizing time at their bi-weekly meetings. According to GSA board member Bryce Collis (‘25), every year, they host a Coming Out Day celebration in the fall, but they do not typically have a pride celebration in the spring.

GSA board member Vivianne Arnold (’26) said they did not have this celebration in the past because the dates did not work with the end of the year schedule. Arnold said having GSA as a club at Archer is very important to many students on campus. She said she already knew she was queer before coming to Archer, but the caring community she found in GSA has been invaluable to her.

It’s a space where you can be authentically gay.”

— Hollyn Alpert (‘28)

“I’ve never had such a space, where I could be myself and be around other people who were just so welcoming asupportive and just lovely people,” Arnold said. “It’s such a welcoming community.”

According to Arnold, in GSA meetings, members will talk, listen to music and sometimes play games. Hollyn Alpert (’28), who is a member of GSA, also said she thinks it is a supportive, accepting community.

“It’s a space where you can be authentically gay,” Alpert said.

Arnold said there is a stigma for queer kids, especially teenage girls, around embracing their LGBTQ+ identity. According to a CDC survey from 2021, 52% of LGBQ+ high school students reported “experiencing poor mental health during the past 30 days,” compared to 22% of heterosexual high schoolers who experienced poor mental health.

“I really hope the community gets involved with the event because allyship is such an important part of advocacy and supporting one another is really important. It’s one of the Archer values,” Arnold said. “I hope everyone feels like they can celebrate together.”

Alpert said hosting this type of celebration at Archer is important because it demonstrates to the LGTBQ+ community that Archer is a welcoming place.

“I think it’s important because it lets both the closeted and out queer people know that this is a safe space for them to express their identity in a way that makes them feel comfortable,” Alpert said.

Adella Travers (’27) attended the celebration and said it was lot of fun. She said she enjoyed getting to talk to people and had a good time overall. She also made a poster that wrote, “I love being queer because it allows me to live freely and authentically as myself.” 

Before the celebration, Arnold reflected on her goals for the event. She said she hoped the community would connect to celebrate pride together.

“A lot of times [being queer is] a negative thing that you’re persecuted or judged for, and we hope this will be a time for people to openly and publicly be able to be themselves,” Arnold said. “It’s wonderful to have GSA as a space, but it’s also wonderful to be able to [celebrate] in front of the whole community … and have people celebrate you.”

View Comments (2)