Archer students participate in ‘School Girl March’

By Carina Oriel, News and Features Editor

With approximately 230 girls still missing, student activists across the country organized a “School Girl March” in their respective cities and towns to protest the Boko Haram kidnapping of over 270 schoolgirls from the Chibok Government Secondary School in Nigeria last year. 

unnamed-9
Michelle Johnson ’15, Chloe Hallinan ’15 and Madison Florian ’15 advocate for the return girls who were kidnapped in Nigeria. Photographer: Ava Mandelbaum ’15

Archer students marched along Federal and Wilshire boulevards on Tuesday to advocate for the safe return of the girls and to raise awareness for violence in schools.

“Bring Back Our Girls” is a movement “dedicated to giving individuals tools to help raise awareness, and to activate our governments so they will rescue the girls in Nigeria and protect schoolgirls across the world,” according to the mission statement on its website.

“Being surrounded by passionate students and adults during the march was very inspiring,” Chloe Hallinan ’15 said.

“The attendance at this rally tripled from one year ago. There was a rising awareness in the crowd about the need to implement global education initiatives,” Lulu Cerone ’17 said.

“It was evident in the signs we held and the chants demanding safe education for all,” she said. “This tragedy is a call to action.”

Lulu Cerone '17 poses with her "Nothing Changes Without Pressure" poster to bring awareness towards the "Up For School" movement. This movement is dedicated to standing up for childrens' rights to go to school, without danger or discrimination, according to its website. Photographer: Lisa Cerone
Lulu Cerone ’17 poses with her “Nothing Changes Without Pressure” poster to bring awareness towards the “Up For School” movement. This movement is dedicated to standing up for childrens’ rights to go to school, without danger or discrimination, according to its website. Photographer: Lisa Cerone