Actor Keith David performs, presents about Macbeth to ninth grade English students

Photo credit: Lizette Gonzalez

David reads lines from Act 3 Scene 3 from Macbeth and shows students the importance of understanding the emotions in the text.

By Lizette Gonzalez, Features Editor

On Wednesday, Feb. 12, actor Keith David visited the freshman class to talk about understanding Shakespeare‘s language and performed scenes from the play “Macbeth”. David acted in films such as “Platoon,” “Crash,” “Barbershop” and more. He also performed scenes from Macbeth during college.

David gave advice and tips to the students about how to perform Shakespeare, which they then did in their English classes.

“I think the way he explained the acting made me feel a bit more comfortable for when I will do it,” freshman Treasure Brown said before her in-class performance.

Fellow freshman London Dorton shared the same sentiment but also added how David talking about Shakespeare’s language helped too.

“The dramatic readings helped me see how to get into character,” Dorton said. “He also helped me understand the book more because he analyzed it as he was going.”

David ended his discussion and performance with tips for the students for when they perform and encouraged them to have fun as well.

“It’s called a play for a reason,” David said. “Have fun.”