Two members of Archer community test positive for COVID-19

Photo credit: Greta Irvine

A sign reminding community members to obey masking protocols is displayed on the door of the library. Other signs like this instructing students, faculty, staff and visitors to follow health and safety protocols in order to prevent the spread of COVID-19 are displayed around campus.

By Greta Irvine, Editor in Chief

Two members of the Archer community tested positive for COVID-19 this past week, marking the first recorded community cases of the 2021-2022 school year. 

On Sept. 6, Head of School Elizabeth English wrote an email to Archer families informing them that a member of the Archer staff had tested positive for COVID-19. To maintain confidentiality, the identity of that individual was not disclosed. English informed the families that the staff member had no close contact with any students, which she defined in her email as, “within 6 feet of distance for 15 minutes (cumulatively) within a 24-hour period.”

“The health and safety of our community are our highest priority,” English wrote. “We appreciate your willingness to continue the practices of frequent hand washing, social distancing and wearing a mask, and ensuring your students are doing the same.”  

Faculty and staff were notified of the COVID-19 case along with Archer families; however, the student body received no communication regarding the situation. As mandated by local authorities, the case was also reported to the Los Angeles Department of Public Health.

English wrote a second email to Archer families on Sept. 8 informing them of a student who tested positive for COVID-19. As with the first positive test, the identity of the student was not disclosed, and the case was reported to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health. 

“It is important to note that this student was not on Archer’s campus during the infectious period,” English wrote in her email. “The student is self-isolating at home and has not been to campus since her diagnosis.”

English advised families to cooperate with possible communication from L.A. Public Health as it conducted a close contact investigation. They may reach out to those who were in close contact with the COVID-19 positive individual during the transmissible period, English wrote.

The initial email also listed cleaning protocols performed to disinfect all areas on campus used by the COVID-19 positive individual. This included closing off such areas, waiting 24 hours before cleaning or disinfecting affected areas with EPA approved disinfectants, increasing air circulation and vacuuming the affected areas with a HEPA filter.  

“It is incumbent upon all of us to practice COVID-19 mitigation protocols not only while on campus but in our daily lives,” English wrote in her second email. “Together we can curb the spread of the Delta variant by being responsible and following public health guidance.” 

The Oracle will be following-up with further information and updates as the situation continues to develop.