Starbucks, Belwood, Kreation and more: Across the street privileges return

Photo credit: Chloe Fidler

Seniors Emilia Ramirez and Grace Doyle purchase items from Starbucks. Doyle said being able to get a drink from Starbucks is a nice way to start the day.

By Chloe Fidler, Voices Editor

Coffee drinks. Burritos. Sandwiches. Venturing over Sunset Blvd, across the street privileges began on Sept. 20 for seniors, juniors and sophomores. Although past juniors and seniors have been able to go across, this is first time sophomores have had that privilege.

Across the street privileges allow students to leave campus and go to shops and restaurants within walking distance from Archer. While sophomores can only leave campus during lunch, juniors can go across the street before and after school, during lunchtime and during the US-FLX period. As seniors get the most freedom, they can go across the street anytime they do not have class or a commitment.

This year is the first time that sophomores have the privilege of going across.

“The consideration for 1oth grade [to go across] was really to make sure coming back on campus, that everyone felt like this was their time,” Dean of Student Life, Equity and Inclusion Samantha Hazell-O’Brien said. “Tenth graders really didn’t have a ninth grade experience on campus last year. We got together with deans and other student leadership groups to ask, ‘What can we do to try to make that more special for the 10th graders?’ Across the street privileges came into the conversation.”

COVID-19 protocols are in place, and students are expected to follow them when they leave campus: always keep your mask on and try to stay as distanced from other people as possible. In order for students to leave and re-enter campus, they must check out and in with security using their One Card. If a student does not follow these rules, consequences occur.

According to Hazell-O’Brien, there was a delicate balance of freedoms that had to be executed, ranging from the least amount of flexibility for the sophomores (only able to go across at lunch), and the most for the seniors (having access to leave whenever there is no class).

Popular places for students to go when across the street are Starbucks, Belwood Bakery and Clark Street. Sophomore Lacey Thompson said it was very exciting to be able to go get food or a drink at lunch.

“It is really cool,” Thompson said. “I went across today for the first time, and it was really fun.”

Junior Noor Afshar said she, too, is “enthusiastic” and “grateful” for the opportunity to go across the street.

“I feel like going across and being able to just settle down and grab a coffee gives me a break,” Afshar said. “After coming off a year-and-a-half of online learning, it feels good to have time where you can have a somewhat normal life again.”

Hazell-O’Brien emphasized the importance of putting student’s mental health first and providing time for students to decompress.

“I am definitely cautiously optimistic because you never know how the environment can change,” Hazell-O’Brien said. “Even though going across this street is a taste of normalcy, I don’t take it for granted.”

Senior Chidimma Nwafor reitterated Hazell-O’Brien’s sentiment about being grateful and noted the opportunities that going across the street provides.

“Going across the street is symbolic of getting older at Archer,” Nwafor said. “It is a time to make new connections, create new bonds, gain new friends and eat good food.”