Letter from the Editor: And that’s all she wrote

Photo credit: Vaughan Anoa’i

Graduating Editor-in-Chief Vaughan Anoa’i poses for her kindergarten graduation photo and smiles in her Archer polo during her first day of senior year. After seven years at Archer, Anoa’i reflected on her journey through middle and high school, more specifically what her role as Editor-in-Chief meant to her.

By Vaughan Anoa'i, Editor in Chief

Amongst The Oracle staff, one of our favorite warm-up activities and class traditions is to “share the love” with one another. During this shout-out session, we take turns praising and complimenting a fellow staff member for a multitude of reasons, all unique and different from the last.

“I want to shoutout Lizette for her ethical reporting skills and journalistic integrity.”

“I’m going to share the love to Gracie for always updating the scores within our sports section and pushing all of us to become better reporters.”

“I want to extend a special shoutout to Surya for all of her hard work on our social media posting, day in and day out.”

If you were to walk by the Publication Lab during one of our class periods, these are just a few of the praise-filled comments that fill the entire room.

As I participated in my final “share the love” session, I expected a wave of sadness and melancholy to rush over me once I realized that I had finally reached the end.

Throughout the entirety of my high school career, I have worn many hats. If you know me, you know that my involvement in extracurricular activities is my rock, keeping me both grounded and connected with people I have come to deeply value. As someone who has been a part of The Oracle since my sophomore year, I can easily say that this program has had a significant impact on not only the way I look at the world around me, but most of all, how I look at myself.

Once spring break came to a close, and I recognized that my remaining time as Editor-in-Chief was fleeting, a sense of denial seemed to overtake every other emotion. As the new Editorial Board was announced and Oracle-related meetings virtually disappeared from my calendar, I couldn’t believe that I had finally reached the end. As someone who is constantly racing against time, sprinting at full speed toward the weekend or my next break, I couldn’t comprehend why I suddenly wanted time to stand still.

While I continued to edit pieces like I normally would and attend meetings that didn’t even require my presence, I convinced those around me and also myself that nothing would change. And, for a while, I simply loved it. I loved that, even if only in ignorance, the single title that I am most proud of in this lifetime has continued to live on in the final moments of my high school years, even if it was only a few minutes longer.

More than anything, however, I feel an overwhelming sense of pride and gratitude for each and every anecdote that contributed to and shaped my entire Oracle experience. From first joining the class on a whim my sophomore year and knowing absolutely nothing about journalism, to being appointed the News Editor my junior year, I am happy to report that the plan has entirely come together — a full circle moment if you will. Even though I had no prior experience or familiarity with student journalism, after my very first class, I knew in my heart that I wanted to be the Editor-in-Chief one day. Even at the age of 15, I immediately recognized the great honor that this title carried and thought to myself, why not me?

Like anything in life, nothing good or worthwhile ever comes easy. The journey to reach this goal was undoubtedly a long one, with many learning curves and challenges that felt seemingly impossible at one point in time. But, these were the experiences that helped build my character and shape me into the person that I am today.

Just as much as Archer will always be a part of me, so will The Oracle and all of the connections that I have fostered during my time on staff. While both my writing and editing skills have improved greatly during these past three years, I can also say that my confidence and capacity for empathy have grown drastically, allowing me to become a better leader, colleague, teammate, friend and person.

While I know that the Pub Lab will always be a place that I recognize as a second home, there are some other places that I will soon be leaving behind once I am handed my diploma May 27.

My cubicle in the library. Both of the benches in the courtyard. The sides of the fountain. Ms. Niles’ classroom. The front veranda. The backfield. My beloved 806 bus. When reflecting back on my time at Archer, these are the places that I will miss the most as they remind me of the people that watched me grow into the person that I am today.

I know that all things — good, bad or indifferent — must eventually come to an end. To quote a line from one of my favorite songs, “Everybody Wants to Rule the World” by Tears for Fears, “Nothing ever lasts forever.” As mind boggling as it sounds, this sentiment includes high school.

I want this piece to serve as my final extension of “share the love” as I’ve come to realize that love is infinite and ever-growing, with no deadline (no pun intended) or expiration date.

No matter how far away I feel, this love will always be with me.

Most sincerely,

Vaughan Anoa’i

Editor-in-Chief 2021-2022