Club Fair showcases diverse range of students interests

By Surya Patil, Sports Editor

The annual Club Fair highlighted the 52 student-led clubs on campus during lunch Oct. 3. Club leaders set up informative posters and welcomed possible new members with sweet treats in the courtyard. The Oracle interviewed the leaders of eight clubs and inquired about what they hope their club will accomplish this year.

• Students approach the Clean Beach Club poster to learn about what organizations the club is partnered with. Avalon Straiton (’24) shared her interest in preserving the environment and she said she hopes to get more people involved in her club. “We’re partnering with the LA Surfrider Foundation,” Straiton said. “We want to help clean up the beaches in LA and bring an opportunity to Archer for students to help with environmental action and take action on their own to help clean local communities.”

Photo credit: Surya Patil
  • Malia Apor (’24) and Kayla Bruce (’24) provide information about the Space for Exploring Multiracial Identity club poster. “The goal for this year is to create a space for multiracial or biracial or multicultural people — for them to talk about their identity and meet other people who identify the same way as they do, learn about current events and up-to-date terminology and just feel safe in a space,” Apor said.

Photo credit: Surya Patil
  • August Kohn (’25) talks to potential members about organizations she would like to partner with for her club Letters of Love. “Our goal is to partner with amazing organizations and to really form a community and create connection through handwritten letters,” Kohn said.

Photo credit: Surya Patil
  • Audrey Chang (’24) informs students about her club’s goals. “My goal for Leaders For United Change Club is to get more people involved with the organization from Archer and to help make people enthusiastic about service and tutoring,” Chang said. “My goal for the club this year is to recruit more people to become mentors and tutors for the organization, to have a fundraiser for our club and help with educational inequity.”

Photo credit: Surya Patil
  • Siena Ferraro (’25) presents the Short Story Social Club to the Archer community. In the club, Ferraro plans for members to read different famous short stories as well as stories that are relatively undiscovered or unpublished. “My goal is to create connection between all the different grade levels in our school,” Ferraro said. “It is really to bring everyone together and bond over a shared love of short form literature and writing.”

• Phoebe Casparian (’27) urges students with and interest in Harry Potter to sign up for her club. “One of my biggest goals for Harry Potter Club this year is to create a small community of people who enjoy Harry Potter and bring them together to share their passion,” Casparian said.” I simply want to make club members’ lunch time more enjoyable with a fun activity, where we can all talk and laugh and have a great time.”

Photo credit: Surya Patil
  • Isabella Jeffery (’24) poses for a picture with the Stitch Perfect Club poster. The club makes knitted hats, which they donate to premature babies who live in the NICU of hospitals. “My goal is to make as many preemie hats as possible and teach upper schoolers and middle schoolers how to crochet [and] do service,” club leader Sabrina Walker (’24) said. “I really want to be able to help other families… and make tiny baby preemie hats so they can have a little bit of joy in the time of worry… I started this club last year, [and] this year to last year we made around 50 hats. This year, I want to make 50, maybe 100 more [than that].”

Photo credit: Maia Alvarez
  • Meera Mahidhara (’23) presents the Home Screen Club to sixth grader Samaira Modgil. “HomeScreens plans on garnering more volunteers and spreading more awareness about the mental health crisis in the homeless population,” Mahidhara said.

Photo credit: Maia Alvarez
  • Sophia Landers (’24) smiles for a photo with her club poster. Landers’s club focuses on engaging with French culture.

Photo credit: Surya Patil