Muses on air: 3 seniors launch Archer’s first radio show

This graphic illustration depicts Calliope, muse of epic poetry, Polyhymnia, muse of hymns and Terphischore, muse of dance and chorus. It is the logo for “Muses Radio,” Archer’s brand new radio show. Seniors Paulina DePaolo, Sydney Frank and Stella Lyne started the show to share their love of music with the Archer community. Graphic illustration created by Isabelle Verdery (’23).

By Nina Sperling, Senior Reporter

They have been close friends since freshman year, they go to concerts together, they love music and they started Archer’s first-ever radio show.

Seniors Paulina DePaulo, Stella Lyne and Sydney Frank streamed their radio show, titled “Muses Radio,” for the first time, Wednesday, March 15, from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.

The co-hosts came up with the idea for a radio show last school year, as they bonded over a shared love of indie and rock music. They said they wanted to share the music they love with the Archer community. However, they did not realize how long it would take to get through the approval process.

“We were having the most fun ever getting it to work and finally broadcasting for the first time. It’s been in the process for about a year,” Frank said. “It’s taken a really long time to actually get up and running with all the work that we’ve done over the past couple semesters, but now that it’s actually coming into fruition, it’s been really exciting.”

Lyne, DePaulo and Frank’s Muses Radio show streams on Mix.Ir and on their website every Thursday from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m. The show includes several segments and occasional guests. The co-hosts stream music that they personally enjoy as well as what students enjoy. DePaulo wrote in an email to the Archer community to “tune in while you’re cramming for that upcoming quiz or winding down for the night, and we’ll have brand new themed segments each week.”

Most recently, on April 20, the co-hosts streamed a Coachella-themed show, as the festival had occurred the weekends before and after the episode. They played music from all of the acts and invited senior Isabelle Verdery on as a guest to talk about her experience at the music festival.

Frank said they thought they needed to pitch their idea to Dean of Student Life, Equity and Inclusion Samantha Hazell-O’Brien and Director of Academic Programs Reed Farley. They soon learned they had to get approval from the Communications department and verify their show followed the departments rules because of their Archer association.

DePaulo and Lyne said during the first radio show, they had issues with their streaming software, but they were very happy with the show overall.

“Another fun thing was we had overall [around] 81 total listeners over the course,” Lyne said. “So, just ending the broadcast and seeing that was really fun and all of our friends were texting us. It was fun to feel supported.”

Each broadcast, the hosts picks songs to play, and they mostly bring their preferred music genres such as rock, indie rock and hyper pop. For the first show, Lyne picked “Paper Bag” by Fiona Apple, Frank picked “1937 State Park” by Car Seat Headrest and DePaulo chose”Chicago” by Flipturn,

“We each kind of chose a few songs that we knew we really wanted to share. You can kind of see the different tastes throughout and the variety,” DePaulo said. “One of them was a song request that we incorporated was from Ms. Keelty. She had a song request, and we incorporated [too].”

Lyne, DePaulo and Frank are accepting song requests through a form at the bottom of their website. Frank said for future broadcasts, they would like to incorporate one suggested song from a member of the community.

After they graduate, Frank said she hopes other members of the Archer community become more involved with Muses Radio. She said they still have to determine how the new co-hosts will be chosen as well.

“I really want to see it continued through next year,” Frank said. “I want to get some people from younger, upper class grades to pioneer the next year while we’re all gone. I think that it would be really fun just to see it become maybe as ingrained in the Archer community as the Oracle podcast.”

You can listen to “Muses Radio” on the radio show’s website every Thursday from 7 p.m. to 8 p.m.,  as well as through their Mix.Ir channel.