Adminstration, JSU organize affinity spaces, meetings following attacks in Israel

The Archer administration and the Jewish Student Union organized affinity spaces Tuesday, Oct. 10, for students to process the attacks in Israel, which began Saturday, Oct. 7. The JSU Executive Board and school administrators will continue organizing additional presentations and discussions in the coming week.
Photo credit: Greta Irvine

The terrorist organization Hamas landed a surprise attack on Israel Saturday, Oct. 7, killing over 1,200 people and injuring thousands. According to AP News, the attack has initiated a war between both parties.

In an email sent to the Archer community Monday, Oct. 9, Head of School Elizabeth English wrote that Archer would hold processing circles for middle and upper school students Tuesday, Oct. 10, for the community to reflect on and process the attack.

“We understand the emotional impact that such news can have on many of our students,” English wrote. “Our dedicated Deans and Counselors are available as a resource to help them process and navigate the complex emotions that may arise during this challenging period. We encourage any student who feels the need to reach out for guidance or support to do so without hesitation.”

In a schoolwide email, Director of Upper School Samantha Hazell-O’Brien wrote that Jewish Student Union leadership has been working with administrators to provide support to the community.

“JSU leadership has also been integral in this process. Please respect that they, too, are navigating emotions about this tragedy,” Hazell-O’Brien wrote.

JSU held a club meeting Thursday, Oct. 12, to clarify misinformation about the attack and to hold a discussion with all club members. They are planning to present to the entire student body in the coming week, explaining the events and giving resources for students to be further informed and supported. Artemis Center and JSU will provide additional action plans and information next week.

The Oracle will continue covering any updates surrounding the attack in Israel and the impact on the Archer community in the coming weeks.