• May 14At 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, May 15 there will be the STEM Symposium preview in the Zeller Student Center.
  • May 14There will be three senior show openings Wednesday, May 15: Lila Paschall and Bella Teitelbaum, Piper Porter and Stephanie Harrison.
  • May 14There will be a seventh grade service trip Wednesday, May 15 from 8:30 a.m. - 12:45 p.m..

Column: Beach reads to lift ‘almost summer’ spirits

Photo credit: Madeleine Beaubaire
My friends enjoy the “almost summer” weather accompanied by their good reads. There is nothing like a summer romance or sunny mystery book, which has always satisfied my summer anticipation.

We’ve arrived at the sweet spot between spring and summer break when the weather is warming up beyond its typical 65 degrees, and you must live vicariously through Belwood Bakery smoothies, Starbucks refreshers and awkward uniform polo tan lines. However, by sweet spot, I also mean the painful last push to the finish line.

As we gear up for finals and longingly anticipate summery festivities, I present my official list of beach reads in preparation for the fun to come post-finals.

For starters, anything with the actual word “summer” in the title is a safe bet for a quick summer read. Books like “Every Summer After,” “Summer of Broken Rules” or “One Italian Summer” are all great reads, but don’t ask me about specifics, because I flew through them too fast to retain any lasting knowledge of its contents. Perfect for brain breaks or to trick your mood into doing the assigned reading, such flirts with summer are nothing if not motivating.

For more mainstream readers, the popular TV adaptation of Jenny Han’s “The Summer I Turned Pretty” definitely fits the summer bill. While you wait for its third season to premiere, I recommend indulging in the three-book series rundown of Belly’s summer romances if your patience is as thin as mine. Fans have gone crazy over this trilogy, obsessing over the love triangle between two brothers and their childhood best friend. I’m attempting to refrain and keep my cynicism to myself, so I’ll leave it at this: Jenny Han has created a beloved story with a picture-perfect summer atmosphere.

Continuing the theme of “summer” titles, “Summer Reading” by Jenn Mikinley deserves its own shoutout. This book even got one of my anti-reading friends to try it due to its dyslexic-friendly font. Mikinley’s dual awareness and representation of its neurodivergent antagonist increase comfortability for any and all readers.

If you’re looking for authors who consistently produce summer favorites, Elin Hildebrand is my all-time favorite. I especially encourage readers to check out “28 Summers,” a roller-coaster of a novel I truly cannot recommend enough. Following a 20-year affair, Hildebrand shows the more controversial perspective, making readers fall in love with their relationship despite the scandal. Beyond that, each chapter begins with an overview of the year’s current events and an exploration of dealing with political and literal affairs. Switching genres, Hildebrand’s “Hotel Nantucket” borders mystery, historical fiction, romance and contemporary all in one.

Speaking of mystery novels, or off-putting, mind-melding novels, “The Counselors,” “The Castaways” and my personal favorite, Emily Lockhart’sWe Were Liars” and “Family of Liars” all left me staring speechless at the wall for longer than dubbed healthy. “We Were Liars” specifically explores themes of privilege, family secrets and the unreliability of memory, leaving readers stunned by its unexpected twists.

For any reality TV audience, books like “The Vacationers” or “The Summer Wives” are suspenseful, drama-filled novels complimented by the contrasting summer charm of sunny beaches. These beachy reads are guaranteed to transport readers to captivating worlds beyond the stress of finals and instead reward them with an indulgence in mystery, romance, and adventure.

If escaping to alternate perspectives piques your interest, check out “The Henna Artist” to explore 1950s India or virtually visit Northern Italy in “Call Me By Your Name.” Novels like these transport readers to the vibrant streets of new countries, immersing them in a rich tapestry of culture, tradition, and intrigue. As “The Henna Artist” navigates life as a formerly arranged bride. Over in Europe, Elio and Oliver delve into a passionate and intimate portrayal of summer love.

Whether seeking refuge at sunny paradises, a journey through diverse cultures and perspectives or simply any captivating story to lose yourself in, these beach reads offer something of interest to everyone. We’ve got heartwarming romances, coming-of-age ballads, gripping mysteries and beyond. One chapter left in the school year — then summer read fantasies become realities.