Archer Juniors Spend A Day At The Zoo

On May 16, Archer’s 11th grade biology classes visited the Los Angeles Zoo as an extension of their year-long course in biology.

After arriving at the LA Zoo, students were given four hours to explore. Everyone brought their own lunches or purchased food at one of the many restaurants at the zoo.

“I was so excited that I didn’t get any sleep last night,” Dana Wood ’15 said at the beginning of the day, as students eagerly unloaded off the buses into the sweltering heat.

Although the girls felt hot weather was “almost unbearable,” they visited many exhibits and snapped “selfies” with animals.

Honors Biology students documented species, while those in regular Biology had to identify animals and plants around the zoo that could be found in a specific terrestrial biome. At the end of the field trip, students and accompanying faculty members gathered to take a group picture.

• Two giraffes welcome Archer school girls to their habitat with menacing glances. Photographer: Veronica Richardson ’15

Photo credit: Veronica Richardson
  • Zebras escape the sun by lazing around beneath the shade of a single tree. Photographer: Veronica Richardson ’15

• Students block the entrance to the Zoo souvenir shop, conversing at the end of the day. Photographer: Angelica Richardson ’15

• A reptile lazes in the safety of its habitat. Photographer: Shirene Shomloo ’15

Photo credit: Shirene Shomloo
  • Nicole Schneider ’15 proudly wears an ever-fashionable panda hat. Photographer: Angelica Richardson ’15

• An elephant joyously eats his delicious meal of grass. Photographer: Veronica Richardson ’15

Photo credit: Veronica Richardson
  • This koala sleeps in the shelter of a tree branch. Photographer: Shirene Shomloo ’15

Photo credit: Shirene Shomloo
  • A pair of Masai giraffes saunter in the sun. Photographer: Shirene Shomloo ’15

Photo credit: Shirene Shomloo
  • Desert bighorn sheep inspect the dark cave. Photographer: Veronica Richardson ’15

Photo credit: Veronica Richardson
  • A Sumatran tiger lounges in the shade. Photographer: Shirene Shomloo ’15

Photo credit: Shirene Shomloo
  • A brown duiker roams his rock habitat. Photographer: Shirene Shomloo ’15

Photo credit: Shirene Shomloo
  • Flamingos eat in the hot sun. Photographer: Shirene Shomloo ’15

Photo credit: Shirene Shomloo
  • A meerkat contemplates the meaning of his existence. Photographer: Shirene Shomloo ’15

Photo credit: Shirene Shomloo