Class of 2016 Backpacks Through North Cascades

A sign in the Pasayten Wilderness of the North Cascades in Washington where the juniors traveled on NOLS Arrow Week. Photographer: Syd Stone

By Rachel Magnin

On Sept. 12, 2014, Archer juniors went on a week-long trip to the North Cascades in Washington.

Archer student Carina Oriel '16 taking in the tranquil scene of Ross Lake. Photographer: Isabelle Kantz
Archer student Carina Oriel ’16 takes in the tranquil scene of Ross Lake. Photographer: Isabelle Kantz ’16

The students backpacked with instructors from the National Outdoor Leadership School in groups ranging in size from eight to 10 students along with an Archer teacher. The students had to carry all of their own food and equipment, set up their own tents and cook their own meals.

When asked about this experience, Marcela Riddick ‘16 said, “Even though hiking 13 miles a day was a struggle, the emotional connection I made with my friends was worth it.”

Travis Nesbitt, one of the teachers who participated in the trip, said, “I was so impressed and inspired by the girls in my group; they pushed themselves, remained positive, asserted their leadership and had fun in the process.”