Eastern Star Gallery Features Artist Karl Haendel in exhibit ‘Fresh Musk’

Haendel and teacher Chad Attie revel in the finished product of the exhibit. Haendel said that his role as an artist is to “honestly present a vision of the world that he…believes to be true” in the book “Uncertain States of America: American Art in the 3rd Millenium” Photographer: Siena Deck’16

Los Angeles based visual artist Karl Haendel teamed up with Archer’s student-run Eastern Star Gallery in a show entitled “Fresh Musk” held on Oct. 9.

Artist Karl Haendel during Artist Talk.
Artist Karl Haendel collaborates with the Gallery Management and Design team to set up the exhibit. The class’ mission is “to engage gallery visitors in the collaborative journey of the artist’s creative process,” according to its website. Photographer: Siena Deck’16

Haendel grew up in New York. During high school, Haendal recalls spending countless hours in the dark room: “I was a photo nerd,” he said.

He earned a BA from Brown University in 1998 and then moved to Los Angeles to get his MFA from UCLA in 2003.

According to the Eastern Star Gallery’s website, Haendel “tries to make honest work about contradiction and hypocrisy” with drawings, installations, films, and public projects.

“He bases his drawings on found and self-made photographs, constructing a traditional reality with personal reference points,” the website continued.

Before meeting the Gallery Management and Design class, Haendal said he asked himself, “What high school has an art gallery?”

“Archer is a very unique place,” he said to the class.

Fresh Musk will be open to the public until Nov. 6.