Community Holds ‘fun, magical, mad’ Halloween Celebration

Spanish teachers Talia Geffen and Rachel Lauster pose with History teacher Lucy Pinkwater during the Halloween carnival. Photographer: Syd Stone ’16

On Halloween at Archer, teachers, students and dogs alike come to school in costumes and participate in themed activities hosted by the ASB and the senior class. Half the day is dedicated to classes— the other half devoted to contests, prizes and games held in the courtyard.

Emily Ward '15 sent an email to the school, presenting the phobia-speaker who would be coming instead of the haunted house.
Emily Ward ’15 sent an email to the school presenting the phobia-speaker who supposedly would be speaking to students in lieu of the haunted house. Created by Emily Ward ’15

The day typically begins with the seniors arriving early to prepare for the haunted house which they had been planning for since the beginning of school.

After a morning of classes and the haunted house, the student body, faculty and staff gather in the courtyard to celebrate Halloween with doughnut eating contests, pumpkin decorations, relay races, and a school-wide fashion show.

This year, the seniors conspired with Ms. Warner to deceive the school into believing the haunted house was canceled. They planned and engineered a “phobia” themed haunted house that included clowns, dead girls, dolls, spiders and claustrophobic spaces.

Dana Wood ’15 said, “Planning the haunted house has been a fun, bonding experience with my grade especially because we were trying to keep it a secret from the whole school.”

Archer Seniors, (from left to right) Phoebe Bell '15, Michelle Johnson '15, Casey Abrahams '15, Nicole Schneider '15 and Auveen Dezgaran '15 pose as dead girls in their bloody costumes, ready to scare students and teachers in the haunted house. Photographer: Scarlett Hopper '15
Archer Seniors, (from left to right) Phoebe Bell ’15, Michelle Johnson ’15, Casey Abrahams ’15, Nicole Schneider ’15 and Auveen Dezgaran ’15 pose as dead girls in their bloody costumes, ready to scare students and teachers in the haunted house. Photographer: Scarlett Hopper ’15

In an email interview, Sarah Boehm ’16 said, “The Halloween Celebration at Archer is always one of my favorite events of the year. We have a half day and everyone forgets about the stress of everyday school and celebrates the fun holiday.”

Division Coordinator Mindy Stone commented in an interview, “When I think about Halloween at Archer, I think about candy infused madness. It’s just, it’s madness. It’s fun and magical but madness at the same time.”