Archer Community celebrates International Day of the Girl

English teacher Wendy Deming shares what she loves about being a girl. Students and Faculty were asked to write about

English teacher Wendy Deming shares what she loves about being a girl. Students and Faculty were asked to write about "sugar and spice," the good and bad parts about being girls. Photo by Isabelle Kantz '16

By Isabelle Kantz

Students, faculty and staff joined in festivities on Oct. 9 to celebrate the International Day of the Girl. With various activities in the courtyard, the Archer community raised awareness about gender inequality around the world.

Click on an image below to begin the slideshow.

• The Archer community celebrates the International Day of the Girl. The Girls Empowering Girls (GEG) club planned most of the festivities for the celebration in the courtyard. Photographer: Isabelle Kantz '16

• Bags from the Malala Fund are available to take and fill with clothes to donate. Students are encouraged to send the filled bags to The Malala Fund and will receive community service credits in exchange. Photographer: Isabelle Kantz '16

• Archer students and faculty share what they learned in school. Faculty members Janelle Spanier and Kate Burns shared the importance of community and knowledge in school. Photographer: Isabelle Kantz '16

• The Girls Empowering Girls (GEG) club invites the Archer community to play their game, "Wheel of Fortune: Girl Edition." The game teaches players about girls' lives from around the world. Photographer: Isabelle Kantz '16

• Archer students and faculty share what they learned in school. Across the globe, celebrities and public figures used the hashtag #62MillionGirls to share what they learned in school. Photographer: Isabelle Kantz '16

• Shelby Mumford '16 fills out on a piece of paper what she loves or wishes she could change about being a girl. The Girls Empowering Girls (GEG) club discussed these pieces of paper in one of their meetings. Photographer: Isabelle Kantz '16