• June 1Archer Oracle will be on hiatus during summer break. Regular coverage will resume in September.

Filed under NEWS

Annual Founders’ Day unites community, celebrates seniors

The+Archer+School+for+Girls+Founders+Day+2015.+Photo+by+Nelly+Rouzroch+%2718.+
The Archer School for Girls Founders Day 2015. Photo by Nelly Rouzroch '18.

The Archer community celebrated the school’s founding, the 20th anniversary and the class of 2016 on Wednesday, Nov. 11.

“It’s a really nice day. I think it’s good to look back and honor the people who set up something as great as Archer and allowed us to be here doing the things we are today. They really did the work for us to get here,” physics teacher and 11th Grade Dean Jacob London said.

“It’s incredible to see how the whole school comes together to honor the history of the school and the seniors,” Student Council Advisor and history teacher Meg Shirk said.

Founders’ Day is a tradition unique to Archer, where students and faculty celebrate both the past and current leaders of the school.

“I’m really excited for this opportunity to recognize the seniors and also to think about the legacy that they’ll leave on the Archer community, especially in relationship to the legacy that the founders have left,” Dean of Students Travis Nesbitt said.

Megan Callaway and Dr. Diana Meehan, two of Archer’s founders, were among those who spoke at the event.

“I’m really excited to be celebrating the 20th anniversary. I think it’s a really exciting opportunity that we [had] two out of our three founders here today,” Dean of Academic Affairs Gretchen Warner said.

“I remember being here ten years ago when we celebrated ten years, and it seemed like a huge event then, and it seems even bigger now. I’m super excited for the Class of 2016 to see what they do this year and beyond,” she said.

Students sat in the courtyard to watch the speeches and musical performances and recognize Archer’s accomplishments.

“I’m excited to see what’s going to happen, and to see my sister,” Lily Stone ’22 said.

“I’ve been here since seventh grade, and I’ve been here for so many Founders’ Days, so it’s really cool to actually be in the moment where I’m a senior,” Gaby Sumpter ’16 said.

Sixth grade history teacher Theresa Dahlin expressed wonder at the maturation of the senior class.

“It was just yesterday that these girls were sitting with me in the sixth grade row watching seniors, and now they are seniors, and it just blows my mind,” she said.

Click on an image below to begin the slideshow.

Roses given to honor the seniors during the ceremony. Photographer: Nelly Rouzroch '18