Archer Debate kicks off ‘incredible season’ with first tournament

Ciel Torres 17, Isabel Adler 17, Livi Richards 19 and Natalie Grant 19 all pose with their trophies. These two teams went undefeated for the first league tournament of the year. Photo courtesy of Adler.

Ciel Torres ’17, Isabel Adler ’17, Livi Richards ’19 and Natalie Grant ’19 all pose with their trophies. These two teams went undefeated for the first league tournament of the year. Photo courtesy of Adler.

Archer debaters went to their first league tournament on October 1 at Narbonne High School. Students participated in the novice and varsity divisions of the tournament.

Eight students went to the tournament — two students participated in Lincoln-Douglas [LD], a one-on-one debate, and four teams competed in Public Forum [PF], a two-on-two debate. There were two LD members in the novice division, one PF team in the novice division, and two PF teams in varsity.

“We had three new teams with two in LD and one in PF, which was really exciting, because the team has nearly doubled in size from last year,” captain Isabel Adler ’17 said.

Sophomores Natalie Grant and Livi Richards received first place in Varsity Public Forum, while seniors Ciel Torres and Isabel Adler earned fourth place in Varsity Public Forum. While both teams were undefeated, Grant and Richards had higher speaker points than Torres and Adler, leading them to their first place win.

Adler noted that this year in debate has been exciting not only because of the new members, but because of their new coach, Salihah Gray.

“This year has already been great for Archer Debate, and with a new coach from USC, Ms. Gray, and lots of new members, I predict an incredible season,” Adler said.