Club Fair showcases ‘record’ number of student-led clubs

Student+Council+Executive+Board+member+Maya+Winkler+18+addresses+students+at+the+2016+Club+Fair.+Student+Council+invites+representatives+from+each+club+to+come+onstage+and+promote+themselves.+

Photo credit: Alyssa Downer

Student Council Executive Board member Maya Winkler ’18 addresses students at the 2016 Club Fair. Student Council invites representatives from each club to come onstage and promote themselves.

At Archer’s annual Club Fair, student leaders are given the opportunity to advertise, educate and recruit for the clubs they choose to implement and run. On Friday, September 30, over 40 student-led clubs were given a booth and a student body full of potential new members that they then attempted to win over.

“I’m super excited to report that we had 46 clubs that were present at the Club Fair, which, as far as I know, is a record, at least in recent Archer history,” Dean of Students Travis Nesbitt said. “[There were] also a lot of new clubs.”

New to the 2016-2017 school year were clubs such as the Archer Interfaith Association, the Ladies’ Society for Cinematic Horror, the Women in Business club, the Jewish Student Community and many more. Returning clubs include Model United Nations, the Jane Austen Society, the Black Student Union, Gay-Straight Alliance, Diversity Club and Girls Empowering Girls, among others. A complete list of clubs can be found here.

“I think, ideally, we’re always looking for a place where students fit in, that connects them to the community, and if we have varied interests present in our clubs, that will be different angles that can pull students into the community,” Nesbitt said. “Ideally, they can [all] pursue their interests through clubs.”