Something Minor and Major: a cappella at Archer

In most programs at Archer, student participation follows the adage out with the old and in with the new. However, things were different for performing arts teacher Kate Burns when she realized that, following the 2015-2016 year, no one in the Unaccompanied Minors a cappella group was going to graduate and make space for new members.

“When I figured out that no one was graduating, I knew there was an interest. I didn’t want to have one year where one girl gets into Minors. I want to give people an opportunity,” Burns said.

When auditions came around, many Archer students showed up in the hopes of becoming part of the Unaccompanied Minors.

“We had almost 30 girls show up to auditions — we needed to have another group,” Burns said.

“The Unaccompanied Minors have gained a major status and fanbase over the recent years,” singer Anabella Ronson-Benenati ’17 said. “We have turned into a stronger group, and we have become a known group.”

“We’ve gotten really close and grown as a group so much,” Annie Schindel ’17 said.

Ronson-Benenati saw this development coming.

“I predicted it during auditions,” she said. “Every person that came in, Ms. Burns was like, ‘amazing job.'”

With too many girls, Burns realized that she had one option: to create a new a cappella group. This is when the new group on campus, “Something Major,” began.

Eleven students received an email welcoming them to Something Major over the summer.

“When I found out about being a part of a new a cappella group instead of the Unaccompanied Minors, I was originally upset.  This was because I felt as though for so many years, I had always dreamed of being a part of this group, and I would never get the chance,” Jordan Mamalakis ’19 said. “Since joining ‘Something Major,’ my perspective has completely changed because I have learned so much being a part of this group, and it has exceeded my expectations.”

The Majors and Minors practice separately; however, Burns makes an effort for the two to collaborate and get to know one another.

“They rehearse separately, but they come together for certain events,” Burns said. “For Winter Wonderland, for example, they came together.”

According to Schindel, a Minors singer, the Majors sound “really good.”

At the beginning of the school year, Burns asked the singers what they hoped to gain from being part of a cappella, and she noticed a trend. Many students said they hoped to get to know other girls in other grades, due to the fact that the Minors are comprised of 10th to 12th graders, while the majors have students from ninth to 11th grade. Therefore, Burns wanted to find a way to connect the groups and become an “a cappella family.”

After a discussion, one of the Minors suggested creating “Songbird Sisters.” This is when girls from Majors have an older “sister” in Minors to look out for them and help them throughout the year.

“We spent a whole week doing a back and fourth reveal — and in the end, we did a big reveal,” Burns said.

Minors Ronson-Benenati and Schindel share a Major sister.

“Doing the reveal was really fun because they were really excited,” Schindel said. “We got gifts and put them in her locker. She was really happy when she found out it was us.”

“I love having my songbird sisters. I feel like they support me and help me whether it’s with something a cappella related or out-of-school related,” Mamalakis said.

Schindel and Ronson-Benenati share a common goal for this school year: they want it “to be the best year possible.”

As for the future of a cappella, Burns does not have a clear-cut answer.

“We are going to have to wait and see what happens,” she said. “I wanted to find a way to create a bigger community — with the hopes of maybe something for the middle school in the future.” 

Correction  Jan. 14 2016, 7:55 pm: The original version of this article stated there were twelve students in “Something Major” and that Dani Beauregard was part of the group. This error has been corrected to state that there are eleven students in “Something Major” and Beauregard is not part of the group.