Drama Queens showcase comedic, dramatic abilities

The advanced theatre class, better known as the Drama Queens, put on performances for the whole school during lunch. Their most recent showcase consisted of two monologues, two comedic scenes, a dramatic scene and a song. Photo by: Nelly Rouzroch '18.

The advanced theatre class, more commonly known as The Drama Queens, is Archer’s resident theatre troupe that consists of 14 upper schoolers. The Drama Queens have performed numerous shows throughout the year for the Archer community, ranging from comedic scenes to dramatic monologues.

On Jan. 30 in the Blackbox Theatre, the group held their first showcase in 2017. Their performances included scenes, monologues and songs of various genres.

The first performance was a comedy called “All the King’s Women” by Luigi Jannuzzi. The scene starred juniors Jayla Brown, Regina Valitova and Julianna Goldsmith, who replaced senior Anabella Ronson-Benenati, as she was absent due to the flu.

Next, Sara Friedman ’18 sang “Summer in Ohio” from the musical comedy-drama, “The Last Five Years” and she was followed by Uma Halsted ’18 and Shira Goldstein ’19 who performed a dramatic scene from “Blue Stocking” by Jessica Swale. Additionally, senior Anika Ramlo performed a monologue from the corresponding play.

The fifth performance was another humorous scene, “Ride” by Eric Lane, starring  Goldsmith and senior Harley Smith. The second monologue, “One Naked Woman and a Fully Clothed Man” by Diana Amsterdam was acted out by Gabriella Weltman ’17.

Juniors Noa Diamond, Sophie Evans-Katz and Maya Winkler performed the final performance of the showcase — a scene called “Distracted,” which was written by Lisa Loomer.

“I think what I love most [about Drama Queens] is how last year it was created just because we were just a bunch of people that enjoy acting and enjoy performing for people and of course we enjoyed doing this in class, but it’s always a lot more fun to see peoples’ reaction to the stories we tell,” Brown said.

The advanced theatre class, Drama Queens, performed a showcase for the Archer Community on Jan. 30, 2017. The comedic scene is called "Distracted" by Lisa Loomer. From left to right: Noa Diamond '18, Sophie Evans-Katz '18 and Maya Winkler '18.

About the Contributors
Nelly Rouzroch, Multimedia Editor
Nelly Rouzroch joined the Oracle Staff during the 2015 year and became the new Multimedia Editor in 2016. She attended Ignite Journalism University in summer 2016 to focus on how multimedia can enhance journalistic storytelling. She is in Dance Company and has been a part of Archer’s Dance Troupe since 2012. She loves anything related to...
Anika Bhavnani, Editor-in-Chief
Anika Bhavnani became a member of the Oracle staff in 2015. She was promoted to co-Voices editor in 2016 and was promoted to editor-in-chief for the 2016-2017 school year. She is president of the Diversity Board, an Archer Ambassador and member of the Speech and Debate Team. During the summer of 2016, she went to...
1 Comment

One Response to “Drama Queens showcase comedic, dramatic abilities”

1. Cat Oriel on February 17th, 2017 4:53 pm

I am sad I missed this event! but thanks for telling us about it, Nelly!

• Drama Queens showcase comedic, dramatic abilities

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Artists Kisa Rozenbaoum, Elizabeth Endo showcase ‘sick’ art in senior show

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Creative writing class holds end-of-year reading

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

‘Greetings From’: Lucia Barker, Gaby Lu open senior show

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Rose Shulman-Litwin debuts interactive senior show ‘LABORATORY,’ intends to ‘normalize the female body through art’

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Column: Why I Cry at the Movies

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Senior Marlena Lerner creates films, hopes to inspire other female filmmakers

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Middle school actresses perform ‘Beauty and the Beast’ in new venue

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Caitlin Mosch displays photography inspired by natural elements in senior show

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Review: Binge-worthy, laugh filled “New Girl” is worth revisiting

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Review: Summer is not here yet, but ‘I’ll Give You the Sun’