Filed under MULTIMEDIA, NEWS

Fall Outing Photo Competition winner announced

Erica Dick '18 and Locke Luhnow '18 take in the view after a hike on Santa Cruz Island. The seniors spent three days on the Channel Islands for their Fall Outing trip.

Photo credit: Macoy Ohlbaum

Photo credit: Macoy Ohlbaum

Photo credit: Macoy Ohlbaum

The Oracle hosts a tri-annual photo contest to find the best pictures from each Arrow Week, but this year the staff decided to introduce a new photography contest in addition for Fall Outing.

The senior’s Fall Outing began on Sep. 11, and they returned on Sep. 13. The 10th – 6th grade students’ trips started the following day on Sep.12, and they also returned to Archer on Sep. 13.

The Oracle asked all students that participated in Fall Outing to submit their best photos from the trip for a chance to win a free dress day.

Macoy Ohlbaum ’18 won for her photograph — shown to the right and below — of fellow seniors Erica Dick and Locke Luhnow overlooking the ocean from a hike on Santa Cruz Island. This is the largest of the Channel Islands and is located off the coast of Ventura. Ohlbaum’s advisory, led by Stephanie Ferri, will be allowed to wear free dress on Oct. 13.

Click the gallery below to view other submissions from this year’s Fall Outing expeditions.

About the Contributors
Cybele Zhang, Editor-in-Chief

Cybele Zhang joined the Oracle writing staff in 2015. She was promoted to Sports Editor as a sophomore and to Editor-in-Chief as a senior. Over the summer...

Anna Allgeyer, Columnist

Anna Allgeyer became an Oracle columnist in 2016. Her column focuses on food in relation to the life of an Archer Girl.  She writes about food related...

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Fall Outing Photo Competition winner announced”

1. Naina Giri on September 19th, 2017 8:58 pm

I love this photo. I don’t see anything that is distracting or takes away the main message of the picture, the color contrasts between the land, sky and ocean is fascinating, and the horizon catches my eye awesomely. There is also great honesty to it – I mean that it’s like they are unaware they are being captured in a photo. It gives a sense of wonder as well, along with capturing the sun well and enough so that it doesn’t distract the viewer. Congratulations on winning!

2. Annika Firlik on September 20th, 2017 10:35 am

I love this photo. It shows true friendship at fall outing and it is super cute.

• Fall Outing Photo Competition winner announced

FEATURES

Class of 2019 prepares for life after Archer

FEATURES

Schools around America celebrate Scholastic Journalism Week, importance of #StudentVoices

MULTIMEDIA

Students, faculty, staff travel to Nashville for NAIS diversity conferences

FEATURES

ONE archive exhibit ‘educates’ Archer community on LGBTQ+ civil rights

MULTIMEDIA

Archer students head to polls, vote in midterm elections

MULTIMEDIA

Creeping it real: Community celebrates Halloween, embraces atmosphere of ‘joy’

FEATURES

Middle schoolers participate, learn in X-block sessions

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

‘Greetings From’: Lucia Barker, Gaby Lu open senior show

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Middle school actresses perform ‘Beauty and the Beast’ in new venue

MULTIMEDIA

Varsity swim continues win streak, splashes into Archer history