AP Human Geography, AP Spanish classes visit Craft and Folk Art Museum

Silkscreen+painting+by+Rupert+Garcia+featured+in+the+exhibit.+This+work+was+created+in+1941+to+convey+the+pain+of+deportation.+

Photo credit: Cybele Zhang

Silkscreen painting by Rupert Garcia featured in the exhibit. This work was created in 1941 to convey the pain of deportation.

Although borders are typically used to separate, they brought together the AP Human Geography and AP Spanish classes. Students in the two classes went on a field trip on Oct. 26 to the Craft and Folk Art Museum to see “The US-Mexico Border: Place, Imagination, Possibility” exhibit.

According to the New York Times, the show includes various art pieces using the concept of the US-Mexico border and its culture as inspiration.

The exhibit is part of a project called Pacific Standard Time [PSD], a series that explores Latino issues and hopes to bring awareness through art. PST is currently collaborating with art institutes and museums across Los Angeles to present exhibits; this one specifically emphasizes the Mexico-US border.

AP Human Geography is currently learning about immigration, and AP Spanish is studying Latin American culture. This field trip is one of the ways Archer encourages interdisciplinary learning.

Photo by Maya Wernick
The exterior of the Craft and Folk Art Museum from Wilshire Boulevard. The museum has operated out of this historic building since 1975.

“All of the art was really inspirational, very thoughtful,” AP Human Geography student Lola Wolf ’19 said. “The Spanish class coming in offered a unique perspective.”

Beth Gold’s AP Human Geography class wrote a reflection about their favorite art piece and its connection to themes of immigration discussed in class.

“The topic of the US-Mexico border is a touchy one,” AP Spanish student Maya Wernick ‘18 said. “But everyone is impacted by it, and it was interesting to hear those stories.”

Juan Carlos Moraga Vidal’s Spanish class is creating their own art exploring certain aspects of their own identities inspired by the exhibit.

“I want my students to use this to be able to create something of their own,” Moraga Vidal said.

The Humanities department hopes to do more interdisciplinary field trips like this in the future, Moraga Vidal said.