Archer community celebrates annual Halloween festivities despite weather

Photo credit: Gabriella Ayala

Sixth grade advisors showcases their group La Croix costume at the fashion show on Tuesday. Numerous students and faculty members participated in the event.

Despite the overcast sky and light drizzle, ghosts and ghouls of all ages filled the courtyard on Halloween. Students participated in the festivities including a costume fashion show, senior-run haunted house, “Mummify Your Dean” challenge and pumpkin-decorating competition.

After a morning of classes and trips into the haunted house, students headed to the courtyard to join the celebration.

“The gloom had no effect on the spooky festivities,” Francesca Cappello ’21 said.

All the activities, decorations and food tables were organized by student council.

“Halloween was such a team effort,” Lucia Barker ’18, a student council Executive Board member said. “All of student council really pitched in; it was amazing to see.”

Photo by Kaitlyn Kim
Freshmen Fifi Berman and Maggie O’Leary pose as Lilo and Stitch on Halloween. Many students wore coordinated group costumes.

The ninth grade won the “Mummify Your Dean” challenge, while eighth grade won the pumpkin decorating contest. Winners received spirit points, which will go towards the race for the Spirit Cup.

Students and teachers alike participated in the annual fashion show.

Popular costumes included cheerleaders, Wonder Women and La Croix. Many grade level advisors coordinated costumes, going as fast food chains, Pac Man ghosts and Star Wars characters.

“Halloween was pretty great,” Alexa Batty ’21 said. “Everyone had amazing costumes; they were so creative.”

Throughout the festivities, students could eat candy from the tables in the courtyard.

“It sucked that it was raining, but I think overall it was a great event — lots of competition,” Barker said. “I’m excited to see where student council takes it next year.”