Filed under MULTIMEDIA, NEWS

Walking in a Winter Wonderland: Archer celebrates holiday spirit in January

Seniors+Marlena+Lerner%2C+Gracie+Marx%2C+Sarah+Newman+and+Gracie+Abrams+pose+with+the+panther.+Sophie+Evans-Katz+%2718+dressed+up+as+the+panther.+
Seniors Marlena Lerner, Gracie Marx, Sarah Newman and Gracie Abrams pose with the panther. Sophie Evans-Katz '18 dressed up as the panther.

Photo by Allie Rich

Photo by Allie Rich

Ugly holiday sweaters, gingerbread houses, hot chocolate, latkes and boba were just a few of the attractions in this year’s Winter Wonderland.

The event was initially scheduled for Wednesday, Dec. 6, but was postponed due to the Skirball Fire. Although the winter holidays have now passed, students gathered in the courtyard on Friday, Jan. 19, to celebrate nevertheless.

Tenth-grade class representative Sophie Larbalestier said that it was “special” that Winter Wonderland took place after Christmas and winter break this year.

“I think we always forget that winter still happens after Christmas,” Larbalestier said. “[Winter Wonderland]’s a time for our community to come together during the holiday season, or in this case after the holiday season. It’s a super fun time to have latkes and hot chocolate and just hang with your grade.”

The Asian Culture Club also held a boba fundraiser during the celebration. All the money from the boba fundraiser will be going to Feed2SucceedFund, a non-profit organization.

According to Cat Oriel ’18, co-leader of the Asian Culture Club, the organization raises money for feeding scholars at adopted schools in the Philippines. They provide the children with check-ups and meals every day. 

Oriel leads Asian Culture Club along with fellow seniors Sydney Shintani and Cybele Zhang.

“Since Winter Wonderland was moved, and we were planning to do the fundraiser first,” Oriel said. “We made sure it was okay with the executive board.”

While the club sold boba, the gingerbread house competition was held across the courtyard, and representatives from each grade competed for spirit points.

“I think [the contest] went really well, and it is always so much fun to do. [My team and I] are all best friends, and it’s a tradition of ours to compete every year,” said Drew Kretchmer ’20. “We just have so much fun together.”

The photo gallery below contains more images from Friday’s celebration.

Photo by Cybele Zhang

Seniors Kisa Rozenbaoum, Rose Shulman-Litwin and Elizabeth Endo pose with their gingerbread house. They won first place.