• June 1Archer Oracle will be on hiatus during summer break. Regular coverage will resume in September.

Filed under NEWS

600,000 Angelenos March in Downtown’s Women’s March

Signs reading: “Boys will be boys, then girls will become presidents” and “My p****y grabs back” filled the streets of Downtown Los Angeles during the Women’s March protest on Jan. 20.

According to the New York Times, this year there were around 600,000 Angelenos, who gathered in Perishing Square to participate in the annual 8 a.m. Women’s March.

The Women’s March LA Foundation helps organize the march and recruit volunteers. Women’s March LA’s  website stated that they “recognize that there is no true peace, freedom or inclusion without equity for all.”

Idina Menzel and Rachel Platten performed and  Kamala Harris, Laverne Cox and Rowan Blanchard gave speeches among many more.

This year the official theme for the March was “Power to the Polls.” According to the Women’s March website, “We will create a safe and peaceful space where the important issues of voter turnout, access, restrictions, and intimidation will be addressed and begin a plan of action leading up to November 2018 and beyond.”

Aerial photo of the Women's March. This year's theme for the Women's March was to encourage women to vote.

About the Photographers
Grace Dieveney, Staff Writer
Grace Dieveney became a member of the Oracle in 2017.  She enjoys cooking, reading, writing, swimming, and volunteering at the Wallis Annenberg Pet Space. In her free time, she can be found playing the ukulele.
Nelly Rouzroch, Multimedia Editor
Nelly Rouzroch joined the Oracle Staff during the 2015 year and became the new Multimedia Editor in 2016. She attended Ignite Journalism University in summer 2016 to focus on how multimedia can enhance journalistic storytelling. She is in Dance Company and has been a part of Archer’s Dance Troupe since 2012. She loves anything related to...