Filed under NEWS

Archer holds first senior vs. faculty relay race in place of annual kickball game

Stephanie Harrison '24 and Maya Wernick '18 hug during the relay race. As a senior, Wernick said she hopes to keep this memory after graduation.  

Blasting music could be heard from all corners of the courtyard as members of the senior class and faculty prepared to compete in the first-ever Senior vs. Faculty Relay Race.

Due to construction in the backfield, there was no longer a space to hold the annual senior vs. faculty kickball game. The relay race, which occurred on Friday, May 4, during lunch, took the place of the kickball game, which has been a tradition at Archer for 10 years.

However, the seniors did continue the tradition of wearing their class color, purple, while the faculty wore black. 

The relay race consisted of different challenges — including potato sack races, human knots and filling up buckets with sponges. The event concluded with a spontaneous dance competition. Although the faculty won both rounds of the relay races, the seniors emerged victorious in the dance contest.

Maya Wernick ’18, a senior class representative, commented on the success of the event.

It went a lot quicker than we thought, which is why we had to do an impromptu teacher versus student dance competition,” Wernick said. “I think overall it went really well for all the seniors. It ended with a water fight and everyone running around the courtyard.” 

Click through the photo gallery below to see more pictures from the event.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
Seniors participate in the relay. One of the challenges was trying to untangle a human knot.

Allie Worchell, Multimedia Editor

Allie Worchell joined The Oracle writing staff in 2017.  This year she is excited to be a member of the editorial board as the Multimedia Editor.  In school she is on the Peer Support team as well as the co-president of Human Rights Watch Student Task Force.  Out of school, she is a volunteer at Teen Line through Cedar Sinai Hospital.  In her free time, she loves reading, traveling and spending time with friends.