Middle school actresses perform ‘Beauty and the Beast’ in new venue

Willow+Stein+%2722+performs+as+Beast+in+the+middle+school+production+of+%22Beauty+and+the+Beast.%22+The+students+performed+three+shows+at+American+Jewish+University.+

Willow Stein '22 performs as Beast in the middle school production of

Willow Stein '22 performs as Beast in the middle school production of "Beauty and the Beast." The students performed three shows at American Jewish University.

Photo credit: Maya Wernick

Photo credit: Maya Wernick

Photo credit: Maya Wernick

It’s a tale as old as time.

On May 12 and 13, the middle school production of “Beauty and the Beast” took place at American Jewish University [AJU].

The Archer middle school watched the show Friday, May 11. Due to the construction, this was the first time a middle school production has been held at AJU, where the Archer dance shows are held annually.

Unlike the restricted nature of the former Blackbox theater, the actresses were able to move up and down stairs and go through doors and wells on the set’s multi-tiered stage.

Isabelle Verdery ’23, who played Belle, said that the cast was in awe when seeing the sets for the first time on the “really, really big stage.”

“When we got to see the set; it was amazing,” she said. “It’s really fun to [perform] on. There’s a lot of energy.”

This was Verdery’s first Archer performance and “it has made [her] want to continue [Archer theater] for a really long time.”

Please see below for a gallery of photos from the show.