Students wrap up research at annual STEM Symposium

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney

Zoe Woolf ’19, Sage Brand-Wolf ’19 and Ella Salomon ’19 pose with their “Archer Biofeedback Chair.” The students created the chair in the Idea Lab for Engineering and Design class.

Students from Archer and other Los Angeles area high schools who had completed independent research presented their findings and received various awards at Archer’s annual Stem Symposium on Saturday, May 19.

Archer alumna and SpaceX engineer Lauren Lyons kicked off the symposium with a talk about her professional journey. Lyons encouraged students to take risks and follow their hearts.

Attendees then headed to a poster session, followed by a range of breakout sessions. Erica Dick ’18 led a session about her findings on alternative ADHD treatment.

“I looked at the properties of magnesium and iron and their potential to increase levels of dopamine in order to reduce the symptoms of ADHD,” Dick said.

Throughout the day the “Archer Biofeedback Chair” was open for use in the Eastern Star Gallery. Engineering and Design students used Fusion 360 to design the chair and then built it using laser cutting technology.

“You sit down and you put a brains sensor on your head and it measures your attention and meditation. Then, the lights that are inside the hood will adapt to your brain state,” Sage Brand-Wolf ’19 said.

Lunch was served in the courtyard following the presentations. Upper School Director Gretchen Warner announced the two STEM Research grant recipients and the winner of the Archer RISE Award.  Archer student Aviva Intveld ’19 received a RISE research grant along with students from USC East College Prep.  The Archer RISE Award went to Caroline Choi ’19 of Harvard-Westlake.

“I am honored to have received one of the three RISE awards and I am so grateful for Dr. Snyder and my research class for their guidance,” Intveld wrote in an email interview. “My project wouldn’t have been possible without them.”

• Erica Dick ’18 poses with her poster during a presentation. Dick researched the effects of supplementation on ADHD treatment. “It is really awesome to know that my project has been worth it,” Dick said. “[The symposium] is a great way to end my Archer experience with science.”

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
  • Ruby Ehrlich ’19 presents her research in a poster session. Ehrlich found that parts of bee venom can be effective in lyme disease treatment.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
  • Sammy Raucher ’19 explains her project to Lexie Ben-Meir ’21 and Gracey Wyles ’21. Raucher created an app for the apple watch to document and report the location of sexual assaults.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
  • Violet Jean ’22 and Shayna Bresnick ’22 stand with their board during a poster session. The middle schoolers were given a chance to present their findings about the detrimental effects of caffeine at the symposium.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
  • Hannah Kim ’20 poses while demonstrating her brain sensor. Kim created a sensor that measures a person’s stress level, then makes a mummy move when relaxed.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
  • Sidney Velasquez ’19 presents her findings in a breakout session. Velasquez studied tumor reduction.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
  • Maren O’Sullivan ’18 gives a presentation about improving rhino food in a breakout session. She found a way to improve rhinoceros fertility through soil enhancement.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
  • Aviva Intveld ’19 talks about her project during a breakout session. Intveld studied phytoremediation for tomato plants.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
  • People watch as Ruby Krull ’18 presents in a breakout session. She presented her findings about the effects of probiotics on alcohol addiction.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney