Filed under NEWS

Students wrap up research at annual STEM Symposium

Zoe Woolf '19, Sage Brand-Wolf '19 and Ella Salomon '19 pose with their

Zoe Woolf '19, Sage Brand-Wolf '19 and Ella Salomon '19 pose with their "Archer Biofeedback Chair." The students created the chair in the Idea Lab for Engineering and Design class.

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney

Students from Archer and other Los Angeles area high schools who had completed independent research presented their findings and received various awards at Archer’s annual Stem Symposium on Saturday, May 19.

Archer alumna and SpaceX engineer Lauren Lyons kicked off the symposium with a talk about her professional journey. Lyons encouraged students to take risks and follow their hearts.

Attendees then headed to a poster session, followed by a range of breakout sessions. Erica Dick ’18 led a session about her findings on alternative ADHD treatment.

“I looked at the properties of magnesium and iron and their potential to increase levels of dopamine in order to reduce the symptoms of ADHD,” Dick said.

Throughout the day the “Archer Biofeedback Chair” was open for use in the Eastern Star Gallery. Engineering and Design students used Fusion 360 to design the chair and then built it using laser cutting technology.

“You sit down and you put a brains sensor on your head and it measures your attention and meditation. Then, the lights that are inside the hood will adapt to your brain state,” Sage Brand-Wolf ’19 said.

Lunch was served in the courtyard following the presentations. Upper School Director Gretchen Warner announced the two STEM Research grant recipients and the winner of the Archer RISE Award.  Archer student Aviva Intveld ’19 received a RISE research grant along with students from USC East College Prep.  The Archer RISE Award went to Caroline Choi ’19 of Harvard-Westlake.

“I am honored to have received one of the three RISE awards and I am so grateful for Dr. Snyder and my research class for their guidance,” Intveld wrote in an email interview. “My project wouldn’t have been possible without them.”

Photo credit: Grace Dieveney
Erica Dick '18 poses with her poster during a presentation. Dick researched the effects of supplementation on ADHD treatment. "It is really awesome to know that my project has been worth it," Dick said. "[The symposium] is a great way to end my Archer experience with science."

Grace Dieveney, Staff Writer

Grace Dieveney became a member of the Oracle in 2017.  She enjoys cooking, reading, writing, swimming, and volunteering at the Wallis Annenberg Pet Space. In her free time, she can be found playing the ukulele.

1 Comment

One Response to “Students wrap up research at annual STEM Symposium”

1. Melanie Dieveney on May 26th, 2018 10:27 pm

Great last article of the year Grace!!! Amazing writer, keep working hard, it will all pay off!!!

• Students wrap up research at annual STEM Symposium

Upper school musical adapts to rehearsal without Black Box theater

Administration introduces new uniform pieces

Clubs present ‘Express Yourself: A Celebration of Identity, Intersectionality’

Student Store Board puts ‘hard work on display’ at Snack Shack opening

Congressional candidate Kendra Horn speaks about female political empowerment

Students attend first day of clubs

No NOLS for now: 11th Grade Arrow Week rescheduled due to Pacific Northwest fires

Class of 2018 graduates Archer

Archer holds first senior vs. faculty relay race in place of annual kickball game

Exclusive: Q&A with incoming Class Body President Juliet Youssef ’19