Class of 2018 graduates Archer

The+Class+of+2018+sings+Within+the+Walls+of+Archer+at+the+commencement+ceremony.+

Photo credit: Anna Brodsky

The Class of 2018 sings “Within the Walls of Archer” at the commencement ceremony.

Donning white dresses or suits and flower crowns, the Class of 2018 graduated on Saturday, May 26.

Though, in past years, both the senior recognition ceremony and the commencement ceremony have been held on Archer’s sport court, the Archer Forward construction plan rendered the space unusable this year. Because of this, the senior recognition ceremony was moved to the courtyard and graduation took place at the Skirball Cultural Center.

Archer Board of Trustees Chairman Frank Marshall opened the commencement ceremony, praising the class for its contributions to the community. Head of School Elizabeth English then shared her reflections upon the class’ success and expressed her confidence in them.

Next, Student Body President Maya Winkler ’18 introduced commencement speaker Lisa Ling. Ling is a journalist, author and television host. During her speech, she discussed the current political climate and expressed hope for the future.

“You are the leaders we’ve been waiting for,” Ling said. “You have been given the greatest gift imaginable, being able to attend this fine institution…You have this extraordinary group of friends and family members who support you. You are smart. You are powerful. You can do anything. Your potential is unlimited. You are, and always will be, Archer girls.”

After Ling’s speech, Gemma Brand-Wolf ’18 recounted the sisterhood and sense of community within her class and Archer as a whole.

“Archer is not just a high school — it’s a home,” she said. “The girls sitting beside me on this stage are not just my classmates. They’re my family.”

Brand-Wolf shared an anecdote about how she wanted to be an astronaut as a child before realizing that “it was more science than I was emotionally equipped to handle.” However, she encouraged the Class of 2018 to learn from astronauts’ perseverance.

“We may be going in different directions, but we all started on Earth. So when you feel scared or lost on some alien planet, know that you are never alone,” she said. “There are 68 fellow astronauts up in the stars with you.”

English Department Chair and senior advisor Brian Wogensen made the final speech of the ceremony, right before the seniors walked across the stage to receive their diplomas. Wogensen expressed pride in the class’ growth while at Archer.

“In my classroom and out, you’ve exemplified some of the best things I’ve seen at Archer,” he said. “You’ve become incredibly articulate. You are full of thought. You relish spontaneity and you care deeply about each other.”

“You’ve made your mark at Archer, and we owe you thanks,” Wogensen said. “Good luck to you all.”

• The Class of 2018 poses for a picture in seventh grade. This was part of the gift that this year’s junior class donated to the seniors. Along with photos, there were flip flops and tote bags for every graduating senior.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
  • Alongside their sixth grade class photo, this canvas displayed the Class of 2018 at the beginning of the 2017-2018 school year.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
  • Student Body President Maya Winkler ’18 gives a speech honoring her time at Archer and her class. Next year, Winkler will be attending Columbia University.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
  • Danny Lennon, head of the Athletics Department, presents Alex Feldman ’18 the Senior Athlete Award. Feldman was a three-sport athlete, including basketball and softball. She will be attending Boston University in the fall.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
  • Orchestra conductor Susan Smith gives Jayla Brown ’18 the Performing Arts Award. Brown participated in the orchestra, plays and the Student Council Executive Board.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
  • Stephanie Ferri, swim and fitness coach, gives Claire Bardin ’18 the Cynthia Harell Horn Humanitarian Award. Ferri was Bardin’s swim coach during her time at Archer.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
  • Andrea Locke, dance teacher, presents Cybele Zhang ’18 with the Olivia Cull Faculty Award. Zhang participated in dance with Locke for many years.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
  • Gretchen Warner, Upper School Dean, speaks about the senior class to begin the celebration.

Photo credit: Allie Worchell
  • Rose Schulman-Litwin ’18 walks into the graduation ceremony. The seniors entered in a line and filed onto the stage.

Photo credit: Miaya South
  • Commencement speaker Lisa Ling addresses the class. “There will always be people who fear strong women,” she said. “The trick is for all of you to not let that fear hinder you or set you back in any way. But you won’t. Because you’re Archer girls.”

Photo credit: Anna Brodsky
  • Gemma Brand-Wolf ’18 gives a speech during the ceremony. “I hope we can reflect with honesty,” she said. “Know that you worked tirelessly to achieve your goals but sometimes, you wanted to give up. Know that you went on wild adventures and learned some amazing, important things. And know that these experiences, good and bad, exciting and challenging, will always happen together.”

Photo credit: Miaya South
  • The Class of 2018 graduates Archer. This year, the ceremony will be held online due to the spread of coronavirus.

Photo credit: Anna Brodsky
  • Senior advisor Brian Wogensen speaks to the class. Wogensen encouraged the girls to continue reflecting on their time at Archer. “We will not forget you, and to be sure, the best way to remember is by sharing stories,” he said. “I encourage you all to write, to post, and to visit or revisit. To stay connected so that we can remember together.”

Photo credit: Anna Brodsky
  • Josie García Euyoque ’18 waves to the crowd as she walks across the stage to receive her diploma.

Photo credit: Miaya South
  • Cybele Zhang ’18 embraces Head of School Elizabeth English after her name is called by Upper School Director Gretchen Warner.

Photo credit: Miaya South
  • Sophie Goldberg ’18 hugs her sister Molly Goldberg ’20 after the ceremony.

Photo credit: Anna Brodsky
  • Rachel Ferrera ’18 and Dylan Marmur ’20 smile and hug after the ceremony.

Photo credit: Anna Brodsky