Filed under NEWS, SHOWCASE

Students attend first day of clubs

Archer+students+attend+the+club+fair+on+Friday+Oct.+10%2C+2018.+There+are+over+40+clubs+this+year+at+Archer.+
Archer students attend the club fair on Friday Oct. 10, 2018. There are over 40 clubs this year at Archer.

As Archer enters its fourth week back at school, new and returning students alike are getting involved within the community. 

Friday, Oct. 5 was the annual club fair, an event which allowed students to promote and join more than 40 student-run clubs. Today was the first day students could attend clubs. Offerings included Hermanas Unidas and and Sci Fi Fantasy Club.

Students said that joining clubs allows them to meet people who share common interests and experiences.

“My favorite part of being in a club is the community and the girls who are advocating for the things that [they] believe in,” Zoe Woolenberg ‘23 said.

This year, Dean of Students Jenn Babin introduced two categories of clubs: AAA (Alliance, Affinity or Activism) and interest. Several AAA clubs include Students of Color at Archer, the Black Student Union, Mental Health Awareness Club and the Jewish Student Community Club.

“I think that the fact that people really want to go to the club shows that there is a community that really cares about the issue we’re discussing,” Mental Health Awareness Club leader Stella Smyth ’19 said.

About the Writers
Nicki Rosenberg, Managing Editor

Nicki Rosenberg joined the Oracle in 2017 and is excited to continue writing. She serves as a member on the Eastern Star Gallery board and is also a member of Peer Support. She is excited to continue co-leading the Heartbeats club while working with the Violence Intervention Program and is a member of their teen board. In her spare time she enjoys spending time with friends, writing and going to the beach.

Emma London, Staff Writer

Emma London joined the Oracle as a correspondent in 2017 and as a staff writer in 2018. She is on Archer’s equestrian team and plays the viola in upper school orchestra. She loves to write poetry and listen to music in her free time.