Juniors take on-campus practice ACT

A+pile+of+number+two+pencils+sits+on+a+desk.+Students+were+required+to+use+these+pencils+when+taking+the+practice+ACT+on+Saturday.+

Juniors take on-campus practice ACT

A pile of number two pencils sits on a desk. Students were required to use these pencils when taking the practice ACT on Saturday.

Photo credit: Lola Lamberg

Photo credit: Lola Lamberg

Photo credit: Lola Lamberg

After filing onto campus clad in sweatpants and carrying calculators, juniors took a practice ACT on Saturday, October 20.

The test was planned by the College Guidance Department and administered by Compass Education Group. It took place shortly after the PSAT, which 10th and 11th graders took on October 10. In a class meeting, Director of College Guidance Gabrielle Dorsey told juniors that the results of the tests would provide insight into whether the ACT or the SAT is better suited to individuals’ strengths.

“I’m nervous, but I’m excited, because I feel like it’s a good opportunity to see if the ACT is really the right test for me,” Gillian Varnum ’20 said before entering the testing room. “It’s a good time, right after the PSAT, for us to all be able to compare how we feel about the tests.”

After taking the exam, Grace Carter ’20 said she thought the results would prove a useful data point as she considers the world of standardized college admissions testing.

“Because I didn’t study for it, it gave me a baseline for where I am and how I can progress,” Carter said. “I liked that it took me out of my comfort zone.”