Gobble Gobble: Students participate in annual Thanksgiving food drive

The+annual+Thanksgiving+food+drive+boxes+are+located+in+the+front+left+hallway.+Students+from+every+grade+can+participate++in+the+drive+by+bring+canned+or+boxed+foods.+

Photo credit: Ella Frey

The annual Thanksgiving food drive boxes are located in the front left hallway. Students from every grade can participate in the drive by bring canned or boxed foods.

While students gear up for Thanksgiving break, the Community Service Leadership Board has organized an annual food drive in accordance with its initiative of the month for November: “Giving Thanks.” According to a flyer, the drive will take place from Nov. 12 to Nov. 16. All food collected will be donated to Westside Food Bank.

Sophomore Community Service Board representative Lexie Ben-Meir said that the drive was prompted by a desire to provide the community with opportunities to give back. 

“We want to make sure that in this season of giving, that the Archer community is doing their part in helping less fortunate communities,” Ben-Meir said. “We’ve done great work in the past, and we can keep doing that same work.”

Each grade is assigned an item ranging from tomato sauce and pasta to canned vegetables. However, students also have the opportunity to bring items not designated by grade level.  

Senior Sage-Brand Wolf, whose grade is assigned cereals and oatmeals, said she is ‘excited’ to participate in the drive.

“We take a lot of things for granted, like the meals on our table, and I think it is really important to be able to give that to people who don’t have that luxury…we really should be doing that more often,” Brand-Wolf said. “Thanksgiving is the time of year that people come together and give to each other.”

According to Feeding America, 40 million people are ‘struggling’ with hunger in America. Community Service Board President Eden Motzkin ‘19 said Archer’s food drive helps promote food security during Thanksgiving.  

“[The Community Service Board] thinks it is important to give back to the community,” Motzkin ‘19 said. “We have so much to be grateful for and we want to help out our fellow Angelenos who are struggling.”