• March 22The Oracle is on hiatus during Archer's spring break, March 23 - April 8. Regular reporting will resume April 9.

Filed under NEWS

Archer community celebrates 70th anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human Rights

+Today+marks+the+70th+anniversary+of+the+Universal+Declaration+of+Human+Rights.+In+honor+of+the+anniversary%2C+Human+Rights+Watch+Student+Taskforce+and+Model+United+nations+held+a+celebration+in+the+courtyard.

Today marks the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. In honor of the anniversary, Human Rights Watch Student Taskforce and Model United nations held a celebration in the courtyard.

Photo credit: Emma London

Photo credit: Emma London

Photo credit: Emma London

The Human Rights Watch Student Task Force and Model United Nations worked together to celebrate the 70th anniversary of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights with the Archer community. In the courtyard, students could pick up a baked good after learning about the purpose of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

“The event is to spread awareness about different human rights, and to get people more involved in our community,” sophomore Ava Salomon, a member of the Human Rights Watch Student Task Force, said. “Hopefully, it will inspire people to get involved and stand up for what they believe in.”

The document lays out a list of fundamental human rights that are expected to be protected worldwide. There are 30 articles that have been translated into over 500 languages.

“Human rights are important because they are the rights that every human is born with,” junior and co-leader of the Human Rights Watch Student Task Force Abigale Lischak said. “Having a declaration like the UDHR promises that the world and individual communities will work to uphold human rights.”

However, Human Rights Watch Student Task Force member Rachel Azrialy said that, because the declaration is not a legal document, most countries do not have legal punishments for those who do not uphold the agreements. According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Belarus, the United States broke 18 of the commitments that had been agreed upon internationally in 2012. The Human Rights Watch Student Task Force allows students to learn more about human rights, and take action to help those who do not have their rights.

“People can get involved by coming to our club. It’s once a week in the yoga room,” Salomon said. “[Students] can become more educated on different human rights, and how they affect our community and other communities in different ways.”

About the Contributors
Nicki Rosenberg, Managing Editor

Nicki Rosenberg joined the Oracle in 2017 and is excited to continue writing. She serves as a member on the Eastern Star Gallery board and is also a member...

Emma London, Staff Writer

Emma London joined the Oracle as a correspondent in 2017 and as a staff writer in 2018. She is on Archer's equestrian team and plays the viola in upper...

1 Comment

One Response to “Archer community celebrates 70th anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human Rights”

1. volumecarpets on December 15th, 2018 7:52 am

Thanks for the article post.Really thank you! Great.

• Archer community celebrates 70th anniversary of Universal Declaration of Human Rights

Archer celebrates Pi Day with week of math challenges

Accreditation team evaluates Archer

‘I honestly wasn’t surprised’: Archer reacts to college admissions scheme

Community celebrates Color Wars, ‘comes together’

Three students travel to Fresno for All-State orchestra

International educators ‘impressed’ by Archer’s ‘incredible’ programs

Color Wars postponed due to rain

Archer celebrates Galentine’s Day with cookie sale for Planned Parenthood

Community Service Leadership Board hosts event for Found Animals

A pig deal: Archer celebrates Chinese New Year